What are the Numbers A and B Given HCF and LCM?

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reverse
In summary: A and B.In summary, the HCF of two numbers A and B is 8 and the LCM is 192. To find the numbers A and B, one can use the equation A*B = HCF * LCM and prime factorize both numbers. It is important to note that there can be multiple solutions for A and B without further restrictions.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I was hoping someone could help answer the following question:-

I think of two numbers A & B

The HCF of A & B is 8
The LCM of A& B is 192

What are the numbers A&B?

I do the following:-

A*B = HCF & LCM
A*B = 8 * 192
A*B = 1536.

Prime factor (PF) both numbers to get:-

PF of 8 = 2 x 2 x 2
PF of 192 = 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 3

That is as far i can get, can someone help?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What makes you think there is a unique solution?

i know that there could be several solutions but i am struggling to understand the process.

alos what could be the possbile numbers and how do you get to them?

If you have no idea how to approach the problem I would suggest the following process:
Start listing the A's that could work in this problem, i.e. the A has 8 as a divisor and which itself is a divisor of 192. For instance your list might start:
A=8
A=16
For every such A ask yourself what B should be for their LCM and HCF to be what you wanted. This problem is small enough that you can do it for every A, but you will probably see the pattern before you are done.

EDIT: And remember to always look at prime decomposition. Never think of 16 or 32 think of 2^4 and 2^5.

EDIT2: The process I outlined is not an efficient process and there is an easy way to solve problems such as these if you know the right mathematical results about prime decomposition and have a little experience, but I think working it out manually is a good way to get a feel for the problem and I don't want to just give you the solution.

Last edited:
tomtomtom1 said:
Hi all

I was hoping someone could help answer the following question:-I think of two numbers A & B

The HCF of A & B is 8
The LCM of A& B is 192

What are the numbers A&B?

I do the following:-

A*B = HCF & LCM
A*B = 8 * 192
A*B = 1536.
I have no idea where you got this. It is certainly not true- the product of two numbers is NOT necessarily the product of the HCF and LCM. Saying that the "Highest common factor of A and B is 8 means that A= 8x and B= 8y for some integers x and y that have no further common factors. The "least common multiple" of A and B will be 8xy= 192 so that xy= 192/8= 24= (2^3)(3). Use the fact that x and y have no common factors to determine them.

Prime factor (PF) both numbers to get:-

PF of 8 = 2 x 2 x 2
PF of 192 = 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 3

That is as far i can get, can someone help?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
from

HCF(A,B)=8
LCM(A,B)=192

next consider A/8 and B/8

what are

HCF(A/8,B/8)
LCM(A/8,B/8)

again problems of this type can have multiple solutions in general without further restrictions

What is the HCF and LCM?

The HCF (Highest Common Factor) and LCM (Lowest Common Multiple) are two important mathematical concepts used to find the greatest common divisor and the smallest common multiple between two or more numbers.

What is the relationship between HCF and LCM?

The HCF and LCM are related in that they both involve finding common factors of two or more numbers. However, the HCF focuses on finding the largest common factor while the LCM focuses on finding the smallest common multiple.

How do you find the HCF and LCM?

To find the HCF of two or more numbers, you can use the division method, prime factorization method, or the Euclidean algorithm. To find the LCM, you can use the prime factorization method or the division method.

What is the significance of finding A and B given HCF and LCM?

Finding A and B given HCF and LCM is useful in solving real-world problems, such as finding the number of students in a classroom or the number of tiles needed to cover a floor. It also helps in simplifying fractions and solving equations involving fractions.

Can the HCF and LCM be the same?

Yes, the HCF and LCM can be the same if the two numbers are equal. In all other cases, the HCF and LCM will be different. For example, the HCF and LCM of 12 and 18 are both 6.