Reverse Projector: New Tech for Immersive Video Experience

In summary: What do you mean by "occupying the entire field of view"?Basically, you wouldn't be able to see anything else in the room except for the video being projected.
Arceus
Good morning physicists, I have a small problem, having a sony projector, like all projectors I always have the usual problem of image pollution. I heard a few months ago (but now I can no longer find the link), of a new technology according to which the projector instead of projecting on the panel, in front of me, projects the video directly into my eyes.

In the link of the description you could see a boy who tried it and it was like a narrow beam of light, then the inventor made us understand that when it was pointed in our eyes, we only see what is projected and not the objects that are around us we therefore manage to take our entire field of vision, this idea of occupying the entire field of vision and not looking at anything that surrounds us but only the video of the projector fascinates me a lot.

Unfortunately I no longer have the link, but the inventor was a amateur who exploited a known physical principle, do you know anything about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're describing VR goggles, basically. They project images directly into the eye and not on an intermediate surface for the eye to then view.

Arceus said:
we only see what is projected and not the objects that are around us we therefore manage to take our entire field of vision, this idea of occupying the entire field of vision and not looking at anything that surrounds us but only the video of the projector fascinates me a lot, unfortunately I no longer have the link, but the inventor was a amateur who exploited a known physical principle, do you know anything about it?
This isn't possible except by physically blocking/misdirecting the unwanted light, which VR goggles do by entirely enclosing the user's eyes. You can take away most of the sides of the goggles, but then environmental light get in and reduces the contrast of the projected image.

Likes russ_watters and Fervent Freyja
Arceus said:
I have a small problem, having a sony projector, like all projectors I always have the usual problem of image pollution.
Sorry, what is "image pollution"?

berkeman said:
Reduction of the contrast and the loss of true black.
Contamination of the projected image by stray light from other sources.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pollution

Baluncore said:
But why are those not easily fixable? Why does there need to be some amazing technical fix for stray light leaking in a window?

Likes russ_watters and Baluncore
Drakkith said:
You're describing VR goggles, basically. They project images directly into the eye and not on an intermediate surface for the eye to then view.This isn't possible except by physically blocking/misdirecting the unwanted light, which VR goggles do by entirely enclosing the user's eyes. You can take away most of the sides of the goggles, but then environmental light get in and reduces the contrast of the projected image.
yes this is what I mean just like glasses do, but ip i want to do it with a projector at a distance of 2 meters, some experts have told me that it is possible using the concept of focal point and for the eye it is 7mm, and to keep the eye still. Basically what I want is that I can only see what the projector shows me and not what surrounds me because it would not make me concentrate.

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
oh sorry (it's a translation) I mean objects that are close to the image of the projector, such as a chair or the floor and do not make me concentrate on the projection of the video that's why I ask if it can be projected in the eye and not see nothing else, but only what the projector throws at me, thus occupying my entire field of vision

Arceus said:
oh sorry (it's a translation) I mean objects that are close to the image of the projector, such as a chair or the floor and do not make me concentrate on the projection of the video that's why I ask if it can be projected in the eye and not see nothing else, but only what the projector throws at me, thus occupying my entire field of vision
Why don't you just watch the material on your laptop in a darkened room? There is no need for some high-tech solution here, IMO.

Likes nasu and Arceus
Baluncore said:
I don't know if you mean the image quality of the projector, but I am not referring to that but to the objects that are around the image that I want to eliminate, so projecting the image directly into my eye and occupying the whole field of view I can only see the image of the projector and not other objects in the room. in fact, the light diffused by the other objects is bothersome

berkeman said:
Why don't you just watch the material on your laptop in a darkened room? There is no need for some high-tech solution here, IMO.
yes sir I tried but since the image of the laptop is not a beam, it happens that even if in a dark room I see the pc screen with the images and all the black of the room around with some diffused light in the around due to the spread of my white face. instead I would like it to occupy my entire field of vision just like the VR glasses, but the glasses are close, instead I at a distance of 2 m with a projector

Arceus said:
yes sir I tried but since the image of the laptop is not a beam, it happens that even if in a dark room I see the pc screen with the images and all the black of the room around with some diffused light in the around due to the spread of my white face.
Speaking as a Medic (my part-time job) -- Have you spoken with your family doctor about these issues? There are likely some ways that your doctor can help you get beyond these difficulties.

Speaking as a display engineer who has worked with Head-Up Displays (HUDs) and devices similar to Google Glass, I don't think there is a way to do what you are asking.

Last edited:
It is not clear what the setup is and why there is both a projector and a PC on.

Arceus said:
yes this is what I mean just like glasses do, but ip i want to do it with a projector at a distance of 2 meters, some experts have told me that it is possible using the concept of focal point and for the eye it is 7mm, and to keep the eye still. Basically what I want is that I can only see what the projector shows me and not what surrounds me because it would not make me concentrate.
What you want falls into the realm of 'possible but extremely impractical'. If you've ever put on VR goggles, you may have noticed that they don't actually give you a view that encompasses your entire visual field. Looking up, down, left, or right reveals darkness. This is because the lenses are what is sending the light into your eyes and the lenses don't fully surround your eyes. Instead they occupy about a 90 to 110 degree area in front of your eyes. See left diagram below:

27tvcg05-bang-3067758-fig-2-source.gif

To increase the FOV, you either need to move the lens closer or make it larger (right diagram, ignore the lenslet array and other stuff and just look at where the collecting lens is).
So to do what you're wanting you need a lens that takes up most of your FOV at a distance of 2 meters. Which would be the size of a wall.
Not going to happen.

berkeman said:
Speaking as a display engineer who has worked with Head-Up Displays (HUDs) and devices similar to Google Glass, I don't think there is a way to do what you are asking.
Neural stimulation. One does not need a light source while dreaming.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

Arceus said:
that's why I ask if it can be projected in the eye and not see nothing else, but only what the projector throws at me, thus occupying my entire field of vision
Well, I think we've done all that we can to help you. We are not going to help you figure out a system to shine bright lights into your eyes and onto your retinas -- that is very dangerous for someone with as little knowledge and skill as you seem to have (no insult intended; we are looking out for your safety).

Please talk to your doctor, and s/he will help you to figure out what you need to do to be able to concentrate fully on the image on your laptop or projector display in a darkened room. Please be well.

Likes DaveC426913 and bob012345

1. What is a reverse projector?

A reverse projector is a new technology that uses specialized lenses and mirrors to project images onto the walls and ceiling of a room, creating an immersive 360-degree video experience.

2. How does a reverse projector work?

A reverse projector works by using a standard projector to project an image onto a specialized curved mirror. The mirror then reflects the image onto the walls and ceiling of the room, creating a seamless and immersive video experience.

3. What are the benefits of using a reverse projector?

The main benefit of a reverse projector is the immersive video experience it provides. It allows viewers to feel like they are inside the video or movie, rather than just watching it on a screen. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as virtual tours or simulations.

4. Are there any limitations to using a reverse projector?

One limitation of a reverse projector is that it requires a specialized setup, including a curved mirror and specific room dimensions, which can be costly and may not be feasible for everyone. Additionally, the image quality may not be as sharp as a traditional projector due to the curved mirror.

5. How can a reverse projector be used in different industries?

A reverse projector can be used in a variety of industries, including entertainment, education, and marketing. It can be used in theme parks and museums to create immersive experiences, in classrooms for virtual field trips, and in advertising to create unique and attention-grabbing displays.