Reverse Recovery Time Explained: Simple Guide

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of reverse recovery time in diodes, which refers to the amount of time it takes for current to stop flowing once the diode becomes reverse biased in a circuit. It is included in a diode introductory lesson and can be found in the book "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" by Robert L. Boylestad. The person speaking is asking for clarification on the concept and is grateful for the summary provided.
M. next
I really tried to read about it, but I just don't get it? What does it mean in simple-language?
What is (storage time) & (transition interval)?
Elaborate Please!

[It is included in diode introductory lesson]

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I can speak for reverse recovery time, only in the context I have seen it.

It is the amount of time it takes for current to stop flowing, once the diode becomes reverse biased in the circuit.

Okay, do you want me to write the text?

Here, I posted it anyways, it is a snatch from the soft-copy of the book "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" for Robert L. Boylestad
"The text and the associated figure"

Attachments

• PhysicsText.PNG
    PhysicsText.PNG
    91.9 KB · Views: 461
  • FigureAssociated.PNG
    FigureAssociated.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 460
cool thanks

No thank you for your time :) It was a bit awkward to understand the concept.

So please if you get it or even if you don't let me know.. Especially the concepts that I posted in the main Question..

1. What is reverse recovery time?

Reverse recovery time is a measurement of the time it takes for a diode to switch from the conducting state to the non-conducting state after being forward biased. It is an important characteristic of diodes and is a factor in determining their switching speed.

2. Why is reverse recovery time important?

Reverse recovery time is important because it affects the performance of diodes in switching circuits. A shorter reverse recovery time allows for faster switching speeds and reduces the amount of power dissipated during switching, while a longer reverse recovery time can lead to slower switching and potentially damage the diode.

3. How is reverse recovery time measured?

Reverse recovery time is measured by applying a forward bias to the diode and then removing it. The time it takes for the current to drop to a specified percentage of its peak value is the reverse recovery time.

4. What factors affect reverse recovery time?

There are several factors that can affect reverse recovery time, including the diode's construction and materials, temperature, and the amount of current flowing through the diode. Additionally, reverse recovery time can be reduced by using snubber circuits or choosing diodes with shorter recovery times.

5. How can reverse recovery time be improved?

Reverse recovery time can be improved by using diodes with shorter recovery times, minimizing the amount of current flowing through the diode, and controlling the temperature of the diode. Additionally, using snubber circuits or employing techniques such as soft recovery can also help reduce reverse recovery time.