Reverse Translation: Could DNA be Synthesized?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of synthesizing DNA using the amino acid sequence and converting DNA directly to proteins. The article mentioned is an April Fools joke and the participants also touch on the topic of mRNA and codons. The conversation concludes with a mention of potential follow-up questions.
Suraj M
Gold Member
Is this a true phenomenon??
I just read 1 article, but i don't believe it
Could DNA really be synthesized using The amino acid sequence?

Biology news on Phys.org
From the bottom of your link:

UPDATE: (April 2) too many people thought this was serious. Please check the date of this post. Then look up if there is even a Franklin National Lab or an A. lupicus. Then chill out.

It's an April fools. To address the point of if its possible though I'll give you something to think about: how is mRNA read so that proteins might be translated (hint: look into codons).

Ryan_m_b said:
how is mRNA read so that proteins might be translated
tRNA.. nodoc or anticodon reads the Triplets of RNA and the CCA (3') end attaches to the Amino acid bringing it for protein synthesis.. so?

Yup you have the triplets, and if you were to have the amino acid sequence could you figure out the specific triplet?

Likes Hamza Qureshi
ahh.. there lies the problem. :redface:
wobble! Thank you! actually this was a part of a question, is it ok if i mentioned the question here, because it might be against the rules..i might have a follow up question..

May I?
is it possible to convert DNA directly to proteins?

1. What is reverse translation?

Reverse translation is the process of using a DNA sequence to create a corresponding protein sequence. This is the opposite of the normal process of transcription and translation, where DNA is used to make proteins.

2. Why is reverse translation important?

Reverse translation is important because it allows scientists to study and understand the function of a specific protein by looking at its corresponding DNA sequence. It also allows for the design of new proteins with desired functions.

3. Can DNA be synthesized through reverse translation?

No, DNA cannot be synthesized through reverse translation. Reverse translation only allows for the determination of a protein sequence based on a known DNA sequence. Synthesis of new DNA sequences requires specialized laboratory techniques.

4. How is reverse translation used in genetic engineering?

Reverse translation plays a crucial role in genetic engineering by allowing scientists to design and create new proteins with specific functions. By reverse translating a desired protein sequence, scientists can then synthesize the corresponding DNA sequence and insert it into an organism's genome for expression.

5. Are there any limitations to reverse translation?

Yes, there are limitations to reverse translation. It is not always possible to accurately predict the exact protein sequence from a given DNA sequence, as there may be multiple possible protein sequences that correspond to the same DNA sequence. Additionally, reverse translation does not take into account post-translational modifications that may affect the final protein product.