1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversible and entropy (thermo)

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In my book it says, "only if the transformation is reversible can we use [itex]dS=\frac{\delta Q}{T}[/itex]", but I don't know why? I think even if it's not reversible we also use [itex]\delta Q=TdS[/itex] to solve the thermo problems, don't we?

I'm looking forward to your ideas, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Entropy is a state variable. That means that, no matter how we get from state A to state B, the change in S is the same. Doesn't matter if the change is reversible or not.

The point is that in order to CALCULATE the change in S, you must integrate along a reversible path.

In fact, the integral TdS from state A to B is always less for an irreversible change than for a reversible one. E. Fermi proves this in his Dover book "Thermodynamics' but I never followed the proof. Since the states are undefined for an irreversible change I don't lose too much sleep over it. But Fermi actually invokes that fact later in the book on a different topic.

If you want to get totally snowed, that is the book for you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook