1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversing averages

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had an effective way of extracting information from an average.

I have a list of averages, they're acquired from inputs from 1 - 5, ..and I can see the amount of inputs used to get the average.

An example would be

60 inputs within the range 1 - 5
    Average = 2.88

Is there a way to extract how many 1's 2's 3's 4's and 5's were used to get the average from this information?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    No. There are many combinations of numbers that produce the same average.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Could I get all possibilities?

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No.

When you take the average (mean) of a set of numbers, you lose detail about the numbers.

Suppose you have a very simple set of numbers: {1, 2, 3}. The mean of this set of numbers is 2. This set, {1.1, 2, 2.9} also has a mean of 2, as does {1.01, 2, 2.99}. Any set of three numbers that add up to 6 would have a mean of 2.

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5
    The thing is though, ..that the range 1 - 5 is whole numbers only, no fractions. ..this would surely decrease the amount of possibilities to few, ..am I wrong?

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right. You want to know how many ways there are to express N as the sum of M whole numbers. This is the sort of thing that is studied in the theory of partitions, a branch of number theory. See here for more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(number_theory)

8. Feb 20, 2013 #7
    Thanks for that Jbunniii, looks like a fun read!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook