Reviving Old Cup Warmer: Harnessing Piezoelectric Energy from Heat

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an old cup warmer with a piezoelectric plate to generate electricity from heat. The speaker mentions getting the idea from the internet and asks for suggestions on how to make it work. Another person suggests using a Peltier device, which can generate several volts of electricity, but requires one side to be colder than the other. The conversation also mentions using a thermocouple from a hardware store for the same purpose.
mishima
I bought an old cup warmer from a thrift store that uses a piezoelectric plate and was wondering if I could reverse it somehow to generate electricity from heat. This doesn't need to be practical, I just wanted to know if it would generate a few mV on my multimeter.

I got the idea from somewhere on the internet but can't find it again now.

Anyone have any ideas/know what I am talking about?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That would be a Peltier device.

Yes, you can get electric power out of it and probably more than a few mV.

In fact, if you heat some water in it and then remove the power source and measure the voltage at the input terminals, you would probably measure several volts.

There is a problem in that the output depends on the difference in temperature between the two sides of the Peltier device, so you have to have one side colder than the other.
You can't just dunk the whole thing in hot water to get output.

However if you can have one side of the device on a heat sink to carry any heat away, and heat the other side, then there should be quite a bit of electric power generated.

This is one of the few ways you can generate electricity directly from heat.

Awesome, "Peltier"...yep that was it. I am designing a project for high school students who are making solar cooker ovens and I thought I might try throwing one of these into it and seeing what happens.

I also got a thermocouple like for a water heater from a hardware store and was going to try that as well on the multimeter.

What is piezoelectricity?

Piezoelectricity is a phenomenon where certain materials, such as crystals, ceramics, and biological materials, can generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. It can also work in reverse, where applying an electric field can cause these materials to change shape or deform.

How does piezoelectricity work?

Piezoelectric materials have asymmetrical crystal structures, meaning that their atoms are arranged in a way that creates positive and negative charges on opposite ends of the material. When an external force is applied, it causes a deformation of the material, which creates a separation of these charges and generates an electric field.

What is the process of reversing piezoelectricity?

To reverse piezoelectricity, an external electric field is applied to the material, causing it to change shape or deform. This process is known as the piezoelectric effect and is used in various applications such as sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices.

What are some common materials used for piezoelectric devices?

Some common materials used for piezoelectric devices include quartz, tourmaline, barium titanate, and lead zirconate titanate. These materials have strong piezoelectric properties and are used in a variety of applications, from medical devices to musical instruments.

What are the potential applications of reversing piezoelectricity?

Reversing piezoelectricity has a wide range of potential applications, including energy harvesting, acoustic devices, ultrasound imaging, and precision motion control. It is also being explored for use in renewable energy technologies, such as piezoelectric generators that can harness energy from vibrations and movements in the environment.