1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reversing substitution

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    Hi guys... I'm probably missing something pretty basic here but I can't seem to figure this out. I was working on a problem recently: for the complex functions f(z)=ez and g(z)=z, find their intersections. This post is not about the problem, it is about something I noticed while tackling it (incorrectly).

Anyways, here's what I noticed: If you set these functions equal to each other, you get

ez=z

So, naturally:

z=ln(z)

From here I saw that a basic substitution was applicable, so the equation can be rewritten:

ez=ln(z)

Basically, what I have shown is that the function h(z)=ez-z has the same zeroes as the function i(z)=ez-ln(z). Now here's what's troubling me: what if the original problem that I gave you was to find the zeroes of i(z)? Originally, we obtained i(z) from h(z) by using a substitution, but is there some way that we can go in reverse from i(z) to h(z) using a "reverse substitution"? I'm sorry if this is rather unclear. Is there anything fundamental that I am missing?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can do, pretty much any whacky thing you want because everything you do starts from the assumption that z is a real number such that [itex]e^z= z[/itex] and there is NO such number.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Note that we are working with complex functions. By the way, I did find an answer to this problem, right now I am just thinking about reversing the substitution

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

6. Nov 25, 2012 #5
    pwnsnafu, like I said, I already solved the equation using the labert w function. Please read my first post carefully.

7. Nov 25, 2012 #6
    I guess this is kind of unclear. Here is the problem stated more clearly:

Prove that the system of f(z)=ez and g(z)=ln(z) has the same solutions as the system of f(z)=ez and h(z)=z

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook