What are the best resources for brushing up on math skills for graduate school?

In summary, the individual is looking for recommendations on how to brush up on their skills and weaknesses before starting grad school. They have a 2.5 year gap since graduating in 2013 and have the usual undergraduate texts. One suggestion is to work on practice problems and take a Physics GRE practice test. Additionally, it is recommended to obtain copies of the school's Qualifying Exam questions and work on those as it is a required exam for graduate school.
Narroo
Good morning!

So, I graduated in 2013 and got a job in industry. Now, I'm starting grad school in the fall. That's a 2.5 year gap; I'd like to brush up on my skills and shore up my weaknesses. Anyone have recommendations? In particular, for Math Methods and skills? As far as Undergraduate texts go, I have the usual University Physics/Calc, Griffiths EM/Quantum, Modern Physics, Diff Eq, and a few other misc books.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, those are good books. Work lots of problems to see where your sikills/knowledge is rusty. For a comprehensive overview of math methods, in one place, see the books by Riley, Boas or Arfken.

I would maybe take a Physics GRE practice test to help you see what you need to brush up on.

Narroo said:
Good morning!

So, I graduated in 2013 and got a job in industry. Now, I'm starting grad school in the fall. That's a 2.5 year gap; I'd like to brush up on my skills and shore up my weaknesses. Anyone have recommendations? In particular, for Math Methods and skills? As far as Undergraduate texts go, I have the usual University Physics/Calc, Griffiths EM/Quantum, Modern Physics, Diff Eq, and a few other misc books.

Thanks!

Get copies of the school's Qualifying Exam questions and work on those. You have to pass this exam anyway, so might as well start with it and figure out what you are lacking or weak in.

Zz.

What is the purpose of a review for graduate school?

The purpose of a review for graduate school is to evaluate your academic and professional qualifications and determine if you are a suitable candidate for admission to a graduate program. It allows the admissions committee to assess your potential for success in graduate studies.

What should be included in a review for graduate school?

A review for graduate school should include a thorough evaluation of your academic transcripts, standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and any other relevant materials requested by the graduate program. It may also involve an interview or an assessment of your research experience and interests.

How important is a review for graduate school?

A review for graduate school is extremely important as it is one of the main factors in the admissions decision. It gives the admissions committee a comprehensive understanding of your academic and professional background, as well as your potential for success in a graduate program. A strong review can greatly increase your chances of being accepted into your desired graduate program.

When should I start preparing for a review for graduate school?

You should start preparing for a review for graduate school at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to gather all necessary materials, study for standardized tests, and make any necessary improvements to your academic record or professional experience. It is also important to research the specific requirements and deadlines for the graduate programs you are interested in.

What are some tips for a successful review for graduate school?

Some tips for a successful review for graduate school include starting early, carefully following all instructions and deadlines, showcasing your academic and professional achievements, and being honest and genuine in your personal statement and interviews. It is also important to reach out to your recommenders early and provide them with all necessary information and materials. Additionally, make sure to proofread all materials and seek feedback from others before submitting your review.