1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Review my work?

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1

RPN

Okay I did my work but if someone would be so kind as to look at it and see if I am understanding.
    Questions
    1. Explain why you would expect a BeF2 molecule to be linear but an SF2 molecule to be angular?
    BeF2 forms an ionic bond with 2 single bonds. Since Be is in group IIA it forms two sp hybrid orbitals. The farthest away the pairs can be is 180 o angle, making it linear. SF2 forms two covalent bonds with two F atoms. Having four pairs of electrons around the S atom the farthest away they can be is in an angular shape.

2a) How would you designate the hybrid orbitals formed by "mixing" one d, one s and two p orbitals?
    a) When mixing one d orbital, one s orbital and 2 p orbitals you get dsp2.
    b) How many of the hybrid orbitals would be formed by the mixing?
    b) The number you put in is the number you get as a result. So in this case we put in 4 orbitals we then get 4 hybrid orbitals.

3. Explain why C20H40 is a solid at 25degcel, while C4H8 is a gas at 25degcel?
    39. C20H40 is a solid at 25o C because has more electrons. With more electrons you get more forces that can hold the lattice pattern together. C4H8 is a gas at 25o C because the bonds are weak and that gives this compound a low boiling temp.

4.Arrange the following atoms or ions in order of increasing radius:
    Cl, S2-, K, K+, O
    if an explanation for teh position of S2- in relation to the atom or ion in front and behind it.
    OK I have:31.
    O, S2-, K+, Cl ,K
    ------------------>
    increasing radius

S2- is smaller than K+ in this case because it has a configuration the same as Ar, a noble gas. Moving horizontally in the periodic table the radius decreases in size.
    S2- is bigger than Cl because?
    If someone would look over my answers and see if i am correct or even close.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2 is entirely correct.1 is okay.Indeed the nonbonding pairs distort the linear structure.At 3,there's a connection between the molar mass and the the # of atoms in the hydro-carbide.

4.The order should be

O,Cl,K^{+},S^{2-},K

------------------------------>
    increasing ionic/atomic radius.

1.The # of electrons and the # of shells are the main criteria.
    2.For isoelectronic configurations,the largest radius corresponds to the smaller nuclear charge.

Daniel.

4. Jun 14, 2005 #3
    oops.

Sorry about that, I should read better before posting.. I understand it now

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?