1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reviewing for Grad School: Tips Needed

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1
    I am currently reviewing for grad school. I graduated a while back, so I am going to need a very solid review. I am starting now to prepare for the coming fall. My math skills were a little underwhelming in my Jr/Sr year at UCR, so I am hitting the math bench press first. I have been teaching in the field for about eight years now though at the high school level. I can still do basic calculus differentiation and integration.

I have picked up (by recommendation): Mary L. Boas' book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences".

I have started on chapter 1 section one and plan on working through the book. The concepts seem very easy and straight forward, but the problems are tricky. I know it is good to wrestle with problems and not skip that hard ones, but I think there is some point of diminishing returns when doing this. I really need to be careful not to waste valuable review time grinding on problems that I mostly understand. On the underhand maybe that is just a part of knocking off the rust.

I would like to finish the book by summer, and I plan on doing most of the odd number questions in the book. I was never good at being a good judge of when to move on as not to waste time as a undergrad. I felt like I needed to understand everything. That worked fine at the community college, but I fell behind at UCR.

Input much appreciated,
    Thanks, Chris Maness

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted