1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reviewing mathematics material

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    I am 15, didn't pay attention in school, because I thought it wasn't necessary, I am reviewing every mathematics concept I should know, but no clue which ones to start out with, anyone got a idea, and in which order I should relearn them in?
    (Just btw, I learn faster then others, I just wasn't motivated before, its not that I can't learn it, it was because my background caused me to hate it for awhile, and I did have a learning disability, but it doesn't really effect me anymore)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What's your starting point? I knew kids of your age who weren't good with quotients, or divisions, unities. What about triangles and other geometric objects? And last but not least: where do you want to end up?

4. Jan 15, 2016 #3
    Geometry is one of the things I am starting to review already, I know fractions, exponents, the basic symbols (+, -, x, division)
    I know the order of operations, inequalities, the basics of algebra 1, two step equations, graphing equations, intercepts, point slope, standard form etc, I know I can't solve decimals that well, I tried to review that, but my brain dislikes it, So I don't really know what I need to review, all I know i need to review is geometry, (probably decimals), but I have no clue if I missed anything else... and where I want to end up? I want to be at my grade level (which in algebra I am), and after I review everything, I am going to start studying into higher level topics...

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4
    Oh, btw the only thing I know about geometry, is the area/perimeter of squares, rectangles and triangles... I do know the angle types, and what degrees each need to be, to be considered that angle, etc.

6. Jan 15, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear. At 15, are you still in school or have you left it completely? This is the age when subjects like geometry, trigonometry, algebra, etc. are usually taught.
    If you have left school, is there a chance you can re-enroll?

7. Jan 15, 2016 #6
    No I am in school, a online school, I was moved to it by my parents roughly 6 years ago, that's when I stopped wanting to learn.

8. Jan 15, 2016 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, even in online school, you should be able to select math courses which would be available to students in traditional schools.
    Usually, the math sequence for most HS students is algebra, geometry and basic trig, followed by advanced algebra. After that, if you still want to study, you get into college prep math courses, which are mostly more trig and college algebra.

9. Jan 15, 2016 #8

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mathematics is often cumulative and you need a good understanding and good skills on the early stuff before moving on. I advise you to proceed in the order that the classes, textbooks, and workbooks have. Do a lot of drills before moving to the next step. If you really know it, you will go through it fast. If you don't know it, you should work on it till you do.

10. Jan 15, 2016 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You could benefit from a private teacher, private school, or a tutor. You could also benefit if you could attend some kind of system that has a setup for LABORATORY science exercises.
    You can and should take care of your lacking decimal knowledge first. Decimals, whenever including any part nonwhole, contain fractions, and so you are dealing with place-value, but on the less-than-one side.
    You might be able to just review Algebra 1 and then move on to Algebra 2, and THEN after that, retry Geometry. You may do better with Geometry the second time through. Some people are algebra-people, and some are geometry-people. Doing badly on it the first time does not mean you will do badly on it the second time, but learning Geometry can require large effort BOTH TIMES.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook