1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reviewing my logarithms, need help solving this inequality

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\frac{2^{x+1}-3}{2^{x}-4}\leq1[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I go through it, I keep getting [itex]2^{x}\leq-1[/itex]

I don't think the answer is suppose to be complex.... let me show you my work in a file.

It's extremely embarrassing that I don't remember this. Makes me feel pretty stupid....

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2
    The first step is problematic, because 2^x - 4 could be negative. Multiplying both sides by this factor would then result in the inequality flipping. You should be multiplying both sides by (2^x - 4)^2 instead, which will be a positive quantity.

4. Dec 26, 2012 #3
    I'm not sure that I follow. I plugged it into wolfram, and it comes up with a complex solution. If the make it less than, it is real.

Even if the sign flipped, it still can't work out to be real.

5. Dec 26, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just set ##z = 2^x## and find where ##(2z - 3)/(z-4) \leq 1.## If you can satisfy that with some ##z > 0## you will get a real ##x = \log_{2}(z) = \log(z) / \log(2).##

6. Dec 26, 2012 #5
    To remove the fractional term in
    [tex]\frac{2^{x+1}-3}{2^{x}-4}\leq1[/tex]
    You must multiply both sides by the denominator squared and not just the denominator because it need not be positive. So, we get
    [tex](2^{x+1}-3)(2^{x}-4)\leq (2^{x}-4)^2[/tex]
    instead of whatever you wrote for your second step.
    Expand out the terms, collect them on one side, and refactorise.

7. Dec 26, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Isn't it simpler just to treat the two cases separately? The positive sign led to a contradiction, so we can discard that.
    No, I think that works. Try it again. If still stuck, please post your working for that case.

8. Dec 26, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Alternatively, do it as two separate problems.
    1) if [itex]2^x- 4\ge 0[/itex], multiplying both sides by it gives
    [itex]2^{x+1}- 3\le 2^x- 4[/itex]
    Of course, [itex]2^{x+ 1}= 2(2^x)[/itex] so that inequality is the same as [itex]2(2^x)- 3\le 2^x- 4[/itex]. Subtracting [itex]2^x[/itex] from each side and adding 3 to both sides we get [itex]2^x\le -1[/itex] which is, as you say, impossible for x a real number.

2) If [itex]2^x- 4< 0[/itex], multiplying both sides of it changes the direction of the inequality: [itex]2^{x+1}- 3\ge 2^x- 4[/itex] which is the same as [itex]2(2^x)- 3\ge 2^x- 4[/itex]. Now, doing the same as before gives [itex]2^x\ge -1[/itex] which is true for all x. Since this was under the condition that [itex]2^x- 4< 0[/itex], the inequality is true for all x satisfying [itex]2^x< 4[/itex] which is the same as saying that x< 2.

9. Dec 26, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct that (2x - 4) is positive for some values of x and negative for others. If Astrum multiplies both sides of the inequality by (2x - 4), then he/she should look at 2 cases separately:
    1) 2x > 4, i.e. x>2 .

2) 2x < 4, i.e. x<2 .​

Alternatively, your suggestion of multiplying by (2x - 4)2 eliminates the problem of looking at two cases separately.

Another method, one that's usually covered in College Algebra courses, is as follows:

Subtract 1 from both sides, then use a common denominator to get a single rational expression on the left. That results in a rational expression being compared to zero. For the problem at hand, this resulting rational expression is fairly simple because 2x+1 = 2∙2x .

10. Dec 26, 2012 #9
    Ah, Alright. I see. The [itex]\frac{1}{2^{x}-4}[/itex] was where I messed up.

It's been a while since I've seen these problems, I guess some memory lapse is to be expected.

11. Dec 27, 2012 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you get for a solution ?

12. Dec 27, 2012 #11
    x<2

the original problem was wrong, if it meant "equal to" also, because it would lead to a complex answer.

13. Dec 27, 2012 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That doesn't make the problem wrong. It asked you to find those x that satisfied the inequality, and you found them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook