Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revisit: Do you have trouble listening the music and lyrics of a song simultaneously?

1. I am female and I have little or no trouble doing this.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. I am male and I have little or no trouble doing this.

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. I am female and I DO have difficulty doing this.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. I am male and I DO have difficulty doing this.

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Aug 27, 2006 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Some people think that this is gender-related, so I'm posting the poll with an additional option.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2
    I am male and I DO have difficulty doing this.

I have thought about it before and it seems like I can only focus on one thing at a time.

4. Aug 27, 2006 #3
    I can focus on both and am a man, but then I can talk and listen at the same time, I seem to have a nack at multi tasking which I've noticed in other people who are dyslexic, it's a wierd thing to be able to do something your gender supposedly finds difficult, people often don't realise the benefits that come with the flaws in a slightly odd brain.

Visualisation apparently is another one, which make dyslexics creative and more able to learn by visualising problems than by seeing them on a page. Which is probably why I'm better at applied maths than pure. The disadvantages are palpable and annoying, such as poor sequential memory, bad spelling and sometimes an inability to learn maths. Suposedly all these can be overcome by retasking your brain, but it's not easy.

I am suprised that people can't listen to lyrics and the music at the same time, I'd never considered that this was difficult? Interesting...

5. Aug 27, 2006 #4
    i can focus on every instument active, but i cant fucos on them all, same goes for lyrics and music, i can hear both, but i cant be aware to the small details alltogather.

eh, and about multitasking, when home i can focus on things, that iterest me, but during the day im a drifter cant focus on half a thing.

6. Aug 27, 2006 #5
    hehe, so should I have posted as a guy...cause I definitely have more of a male than female gender, even though I'm of the female sex. Semi-serious here.

7. Aug 28, 2006 #6

Ba

I have no trouble listening to both the lyrics and the music at the same time. Although I tend to attribute this more to the fact that I've played in band and usually can pick out what each instrument is playing simultaneously.

8. Aug 29, 2006 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I have no trouble with this, and played in rock and blues bands for many years, usually as the main vocalist/guitarist. I can "wander" and miss lyrical content, though, if I concentrate on studying the arrangment - something that is critical if you're going to learn new pieces or refine older ones.

9. Aug 29, 2006 #8

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I generally do have trouble focusing on more than one thing, but this is an exception. I don't really hear the lyrics and music as separate entities.

10. Aug 30, 2006 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My data is lending itself to the following (possibly hasty) conclusions:

1] About one third of people do have some trouble following lyrics and melody at the same time.
    2] It is not gender-related.
    3] Males outnumber females on PF by approx. 7:1.

11. Aug 30, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or perhaps, the number of males taking this pole outnumber the females by approximately 7:1 :wink:

12. Aug 30, 2006 #11

Cod

It depends on the type of music a lot of the time for me. I can listen to country and understand he lyrics almost everytime; however, I tend to have trouble with classic rock (primarily the 80s and "acid" rock).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?