Revolutions and acceleration

In summary, two satellites are in circular orbits around Jupiter with different orbital radii. The first satellite completes one revolution every 16 hours. The second satellite has an orbital radius four times greater than the first. To find the time it takes for the second satellite to make one revolution around Jupiter, you need to use the formula for centripetal acceleration, which is equal to the angular velocity squared times the radius. The angular velocity can be found using the orbital period. However, in order to solve the problem, you must show effort and use the homework template provided.
trainumc
i am comlpetely stuck on this problem

Two satellites are in circular orbits around Jupiter. One, with orbital radius r, makes one revolution every 16 h. The other satellite has orbital radius 4.0r. How long does the second satellite take to make one revolution around Jupiter?

any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
trainumc said:
i am comlpetely stuck on this problem

Two satellites are in circular orbits around Jupiter. One, with orbital radius r, makes one revolution every 16 h. The other satellite has orbital radius 4.0r. How long does the second satellite take to make one revolution around Jupiter?

any help please?
Welcome to Physics Forums.

We we certainly help you, but before we do you are required to show some effort in solving the problem yourself, either by providing a attempted solution or at the very least detailing your thoughts.

The homework template is there for a reason. Please use it.

well i don't know how to find the height but for the acceleration i know if

G= 6.67*10^-11
M= 5.97*10^24

then V=sqrt((GM/r)

but my solutions don't seem to be working

You're on the right lines, but not quite there yet. I'll offer you a few hints in the right direction.

[tex]a_c = \omega^2 r[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]

Where T is the orbital period.

1. What is the difference between a revolution and an acceleration?

A revolution is a complete rotation around a point or axis, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, revolution refers to the movement of an object in a circular path, while acceleration refers to how fast the object's speed is changing.

2. How do revolutions and acceleration relate to each other?

Revolutions and acceleration are related through the concept of centripetal force. In order for an object to undergo circular motion (revolutions), it must experience a force directed towards the center of the circle (centripetal force). This force causes the object to accelerate towards the center of the circle, resulting in a change in its velocity and direction.

3. Can an object be accelerating without undergoing revolutions?

Yes, an object can be accelerating without undergoing revolutions. Acceleration refers to any change in an object's velocity, not just circular motion. For example, a car speeding up or slowing down in a straight line is also undergoing acceleration.

4. How does the speed of an object undergoing revolutions affect its acceleration?

The speed of an object undergoing revolutions affects its acceleration by changing the magnitude of its centripetal force. The faster the object is moving, the greater the centripetal force required to keep it in circular motion. This results in a larger acceleration towards the center of the circle.

5. What role do forces play in revolutions and acceleration?

Forces play a crucial role in revolutions and acceleration. As mentioned earlier, a force (centripetal force) is required to keep an object in circular motion. Additionally, any change in an object's velocity (acceleration) is the result of a force acting on the object. Therefore, forces are necessary for both revolutions and acceleration to occur.