1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolutions per second

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    A sample of blood is placed in a centrifuge of radius 19.0 cm. The mass of a red blood cell is 3.0 10-16 kg, and the magnitude of the force acting on it as it settles out of the plasma is 4.0 10-11 N. At how many revolutions per second should the centrifuge be operated?

I converted 19cm to .19m and then tried using F[c]=m*v(squared)/r but got the wrong answer. Is there a different formula I should be using or did i miss something else? Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Nothing wrong with that formula, but it gives you velocity--you need to convert to revolutions per second. (Hint: How far does the cell travel in one revolution?)

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    SO would you multipy or divide how far the cell travels to the velocity. my problem conatins a centrifuge with velocity 114 meters per second but my circumference is .86 meters. WHere do i go from there im not too sure

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?