Rewriting aircraft equations of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in aeronautical engineering that involves rewriting an equation to show the pilot's input only on the right hand side. The solution involves manipulating the matrix of equations by adding a term to the top row and changing the left hand side of the expression. The person seeking help is advised to take their time and think through each step carefully.
lucy_b14
Hi, I hope someone can help me with this question, although its aeronautical engineering, I think I have more of a maths related problem - I don't really know where to start.

I have been a given a matrix containing aircraft equations of motion (see attached picture). Also shown is an equation involving the pilot rudder input (where r is the yawing angular velocity).

Please note: when i looked at the attachment on my computer, the smaller equation didn't display properly until i zoomed in a bit - a minus sign seemed to be missing.

I am asked to rewrite the equation (by 'equation' I think they mean the matrix of equations) showing the pilot’s input only on the right hand side.

I won't attempt to write out all the symbols etc, but my guess at the solution would be to change the top row of the left hand side adding to each column the term -ζ+kr. Though I wouldn't really know what to do about the right hand side - (would the left hand column of the first matrix be deleted - if so that would surely have to change the left hand side of the expression).

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• matrix.JPG
    matrix.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

First of all, it's great that you are seeking help with this problem. It's always important to reach out and ask for assistance when you are stuck on a problem.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have been given a matrix of equations that describe the aircraft's motion, as well as an equation involving the pilot's rudder input. Your task is to rewrite this equation, showing the pilot's input only on the right hand side.

To accomplish this, you will need to manipulate the matrix of equations. As you mentioned, you can start by adding the term -ζ+kr to the top row of the left hand side. This will account for the pilot's input in the equations.

Next, you will need to address the right hand side of the equation. This will involve deleting the left hand column of the first matrix, as you suggested. However, this will also require you to change the left hand side of the expression. This is because the left hand side represents the aircraft's motion without the pilot's input, while the right hand side represents the effect of the pilot's input on the aircraft's motion.

To make this change, you can add the left hand column of the first matrix to the right hand side of the equation. This will ensure that the left hand side remains unchanged, while the right hand side now only includes the pilot's input.

I hope this explanation helps you to better understand how to approach this problem. Remember to always take your time and think through each step carefully when working on mathematical problems. Good luck!

I would suggest approaching this problem by first understanding the physical meaning of the equations of motion and the role of the pilot's input in controlling the aircraft. This will help in identifying the relevant parameters and their relationships in the equations.

Next, I would suggest breaking down the equations into smaller, more manageable parts and studying each part individually. This will help in understanding the structure of the equations and how they are connected.

Once a thorough understanding of the equations is achieved, I would recommend using mathematical techniques, such as substitution and rearranging, to manipulate the equations and rewrite them in the desired form.

It is also important to carefully consider the units and dimensions of the variables in the equations to ensure that the rewritten equations are physically meaningful.

Furthermore, consulting with experts in the field of aeronautical engineering or mathematics can provide valuable insights and guidance in approaching this problem.

In summary, rewriting aircraft equations of motion requires a combination of understanding the physical principles, breaking down the equations, and applying mathematical techniques. With persistence and careful consideration, the desired solution can be achieved.

1. What is the purpose of rewriting aircraft equations of motion?

The purpose of rewriting aircraft equations of motion is to simplify and improve the accuracy of mathematical models used to describe the motion of an aircraft. By rewriting these equations, scientists and engineers can better understand and predict the behavior of aircraft in flight, which is crucial for designing safe and efficient aircraft.

2. How do aircraft equations of motion differ from other types of equations?

Aircraft equations of motion are unique in that they take into account the complex dynamics of an aircraft, including aerodynamics, propulsion, and control systems. These equations also incorporate external factors such as air density, wind speed, and gravity, making them more complex than traditional mathematical equations.

3. What are the main components of aircraft equations of motion?

Aircraft equations of motion typically consist of six main components: translation equations, rotation equations, aerodynamic forces, propulsion forces, control forces, and external forces. These components work together to describe the motion of an aircraft in three dimensions.

4. How are aircraft equations of motion used in aircraft design?

Aircraft equations of motion are essential in aircraft design as they allow engineers to simulate and analyze the behavior of an aircraft under different conditions. By using these equations, engineers can optimize the design of an aircraft for stability, performance, and safety.

5. What challenges are involved in rewriting aircraft equations of motion?

Rewriting aircraft equations of motion can be a challenging task due to the complexity and interdependence of the different components. Scientists and engineers must also consider various factors such as air density, turbulence, and control inputs, which can significantly affect the accuracy of the equations. Additionally, incorporating new technologies and advancements in aircraft design can also present challenges in rewriting these equations.