1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rewriting an equation

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    Good day.

I want to rewrite the following equation:
    [tex]0.5p_{ss}=p_{ss}(1-e^{\frac{Lp}{Ix}t})[/tex]

What I do is:
    [tex]ln(0.5)=ln(1)-ln(e^{\frac{Lp}{Ix}t})[/tex]
    [tex]ln(0.5)=-{\frac{Lp}{Ix}t}[/tex]

Though in the notes received it says:
    [tex]ln(0.5)={\frac{Lp}{Ix}t}[/tex] (without the minus sign)

Am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Rewriting

So you mean you have 0.5pss= pss(1- e((Lp/Ix)t)) and you want to "rewrite the equation"? Rewrite it how? Solve the equation for pss or perhaps Lp or Ix or t?

You then have ln(0.5)= ln(1)- ln(e((Lp/Ix)t)). How did you get that? Not by taking the logarithm of both sides of the first equation. That would be ln(0.5p)= ln(pss(1- e[sup[(Lp/Ix)t)[/sup]) which reduces to ln(0.5)+ ln(p)=ln(p)+ ln(1- e((Lp/Ix)t)) and the "ln(p)" terms cancel to give ln(0.5)= ln(1- e((Lp/Ix)t)) but ln(1- e((Lp/Ix)t)) is NOT ln(1)- ln(e((Lp)/Ix)t)): in general ln(a- b) is NOT ln(a)- ln(b). If I new HOW you were trying to "rewrite" the equation, I might be able to suggest reducing before you take the logarithm.

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3

Thank you for your answer, I want to solve the equation for t.

0.5pss= pss(1- e((Lp/Ix)t))

Is the same as:
    0.5= 1- e((Lp/Ix)t)

Isn't it?

I don't know how to continue to solve the equation for t...

5. Apr 27, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Add -1 to both sides, multiply both sides by -1, and then take the natural log of both sides.

6. Apr 27, 2009 #5

That makes sense, thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook