1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rewriting quantum gates as CNOT+rotations

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The goal is to 'decompose' common 2 qubit quantum gates such as the pi/8 gate into a sequence of CNOTS and single qubit rotations. I have the book by Nielsen and Chuang and the info is sortof in there (universality proof of CNOT), but I don't get how to apply it, i.e. how to calculate in a systematic way what rotations to add to the CNOT.

I would be very grateful is someone could help me out here. I'm of course interested in the decomposition of a particular gate, but even more so in a consistent method of how to handle this kind of problem. Thanks in advance!

For the relevant matrices see for instance Wikipedia

In addition: I now that H N H (Hadamard NOT Hadamard) gives the S-gate (1 0 / 0 -1), which in turn is the square of the pi/8 gate, but I can't generalize this. My best guess would be to combine the Hadamards with additional pi-rotations, but I have no clue if this is correct and if so what axis to choose.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?