Rewriting vectors in different coordinates

In summary: P is the vector (5, 0, 0). This means that the steepest increase of P at point P is in the direction of the positive x-axis.In summary, transforming vectors between spherical and cartesian coordinates can be confusing, but by using the appropriate equations and understanding the concepts of inclination and azimuthal angles, we can easily convert between the two. Additionally, finding the gradient of a point involves finding the partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z, and the resulting vector points in the direction of the steepest increase of the scalar field at that point.
goohu
Lets say you have a vector in spherical coordinates; how do you rewrite this vector into a cartesian one and vice versa?

Im fine with rewriting coordinates but vectors have got me confused. I've tried digging through info online but I couldn't find any good examples.

In the following task, I've found the gradient of the Point P. I'm stuck at the last step trying to find the cartesian coordinates.

View attachment 9327

We should use the following equations to transform from spherical to cartesian coordinates but plugging in our data doesn't give the right answer? And also, since out inclination angle is zero shouldn't the resulting vector be pointing on only the Z-axis?

View attachment 9328

Attachments

• Namnlös.png
    Namnlös.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Namnlö2s.png
    Namnlö2s.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your confusion with transforming vectors between spherical and cartesian coordinates. It can be a tricky concept to grasp, but I am here to help you understand it better.

First, let's review the equations for transforming from spherical to cartesian coordinates:

x = r*sin(theta)*cos(phi)
y = r*sin(theta)*sin(phi)
z = r*cos(theta)

In these equations, r is the distance from the origin to the point, theta is the inclination angle (measured from the positive z-axis), and phi is the azimuthal angle (measured from the positive x-axis).

Now, let's apply these equations to the point P with coordinates (r, theta, phi) = (5, 0, 0) as given in the task. Plugging in these values, we get:

x = 5*sin(0)*cos(0) = 0
y = 5*sin(0)*sin(0) = 0
z = 5*cos(0) = 5

As you can see, the resulting vector is indeed pointing only on the z-axis, which makes sense since the inclination angle is zero.

Now, let's move on to finding the cartesian coordinates of the gradient of P. The gradient is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of a scalar field. In this case, the scalar field is the function that describes P, and the gradient vector will point in the direction of the steepest increase of P.

To find the gradient, we first need to find the partial derivatives of P with respect to x, y, and z. In other words, we need to find the rate of change of P in the x, y, and z directions. The equations for the partial derivatives are:

∂P/∂x = r*cos(theta)*cos(phi)
∂P/∂y = r*cos(theta)*sin(phi)
∂P/∂z = -r*sin(theta)

Now, plugging in the values of r, theta, and phi from point P, we get:

∂P/∂x = 5*cos(0)*cos(0) = 5
∂P/∂y = 5*cos(0)*sin(0) = 0
∂P/∂z = -5*sin(0) = 0

Therefore, the gradient of P at point

1. What is the purpose of rewriting vectors in different coordinates?

Rewriting vectors in different coordinates allows us to describe the same vector in different ways, making it easier to analyze and understand its properties in different contexts. It also allows us to compare vectors in different coordinate systems.

2. How do you rewrite a vector in different coordinates?

To rewrite a vector in different coordinates, we use a coordinate transformation matrix to convert the vector's components from one coordinate system to another. This involves multiplying the vector by the transformation matrix, which is determined by the relationship between the two coordinate systems.

3. Can any vector be rewritten in different coordinates?

Yes, any vector can be rewritten in different coordinates as long as the coordinate systems are related by a linear transformation. This means that the transformation matrix must be a square matrix with a non-zero determinant.

4. What is the difference between active and passive coordinate transformations?

An active coordinate transformation involves changing the coordinates of a vector while keeping the vector fixed. In contrast, a passive coordinate transformation involves keeping the coordinates fixed and changing the vector itself. Both methods result in the same rewritten vector, but the approach may differ depending on the context.

5. How is rewriting vectors in different coordinates useful in physics?

Rewriting vectors in different coordinates is useful in physics because it allows us to analyze and describe physical phenomena in different coordinate systems. This is especially important in fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, where different coordinate systems may be more suitable for certain problems.