1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Reynolds number

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Estimate a reynolds number for a pipe of 0.3m internal diameter, carrying water at a rate of 71 m/s, and say what that says about the likely nature of the flow.

2. Relevant equations
    Re = (density x L x velocity of flow)/coefficient of dynamic viscosity for water
    Viscosity of water = 8.9 x 10^-4 kg/m s
    density of water = 1000 kg/m^3

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I have produced a result of some 27 million, which seems excessive to me. Possible mistakes: I used the diameter of the pipe as L. Also, the flow speed is something I calculated in a previous question, so could potentially be wrong. The speed is just due to potential energy coming from a reservoir exactly 500m higher up, where pressure is atmospheric only.
    Does anything sound wrong with this solution? I have no reference for typical reynolds numbers in these situations...
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2
    I got a similar result.

4. Dec 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks - In that case I'd better check that I've got the right flow speed for a height difference of 500m and a diameter of 0.3m.

5. Dec 22, 2009 #4
    I just used one of those on-line RN calculators--I got 23.9 million which is close, esp in the world of Reynolds numbers--certainly the answer to the next question will be the same.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook