1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reynolds Number

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I don't fully understand the Reynolds number and it has arisen in a problem. It says:

Fluid with viscosity µ and density ρ fills the gap between two parallel plates at z = 0 and z = h. The upper plate at z = h moves with speed V in the x direction, while the lower plate at z = 0 is stationary. The fluid is also subject to a pressure gradient −G in the x direction.

2. Relevant equations

I have solved for the velocity u (no idea if this is needed for the Reynolds number bit at all) to find

u(z) = Gz(h-z)/2µ + Vz/h.

3. The attempt at a solution

The question then says:

What is the Reynolds number for this flow? What are the conditions on V and G for it to be small?

Can anybody help at all? It would be much appreciated.

All my notes really say is that Re = ρUL/µ or Re = ρL^2/µT but I don't understand the U, L or the T.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    That Wiki helps a little but I'm still confused by this. So the Reynolds number is given by Re = ρUL/µ? As U is the velocity scale it makes to take U as V here. But after this I don't know how G comes into the Reynolds number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted