1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reynold's number

1. Apr 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was told that the laminar flow can be maintained at much higher Reynold 's number in very smooth pipes by avoiding flow disturbances and pipe vibrations.
    the Reynold's number is the ratio of inertia forces to viscous force , in high Reynold's number of inertia force will become dominant , thus the flow is highly distributed , how can flow still be laminar ? it must be turbulent , am i right ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Apr 14, 2016 #3
    i still have no conclusion yet , can someone help please?

5. Apr 14, 2016 #4
    The transition from laminar to turbulent is not given precisely by a certain Reynolds number. Rather, the transition is predicted by engineering empirical guidelines. As these are empirically derived, there is room for flows to exist outside the norms encountered in the experiments used to create those guidelines.

An understanding of the factors that trip the flow to turbulent, such as pipe smoothness and vibration, means we can say that if those values are far lower than the norm then we could push the transition to a higher Reynolds flow for a given geometry. I have encountered this in practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted