How Is Reynolds Stress Calculated from RANS Equations?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the Reynolds stress is defined as the product of the residual velocity measurements in two different directions and can be calculated using the covariance method. The Reynolds Averaging approach provides an equation for the Reynolds stresses, and in the RANS approach, they can be calculated using the transport equation or by making assumptions about isotropic turbulence. Instantaneous velocities are needed to calculate the mean and variance, and the rules for calculating covariance can be used to calculate the shear stress.
member 428835
hi pf!

i had an easy question on how to calculate the reynolds stress from the RANS equations. Reynold's Stress is defined as ##\rho \langle v_i v_j \rangle## where ##v_i## is the residual velocity measurement in the ##i## direction.

my question is, how is the reynolds stress actually calculated? for example, suppose we measure velocity only in the x and y directions. let's say we take 4 measurements and find that ##v_1 = 1,2,3,4## and ##v_2=4,5,6,7##.

is the following correct: $$ \langle v_i v_j \rangle = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\langle v_1 v_1 \rangle & \langle v_1 v_2 \rangle \\
\langle v_2 v_1 \rangle & \langle v_2 v_2 \rangle \end{array} \right|$$

where ##\langle v_1 v_2 \rangle## would be ##1*4+2*5+3*6+4*7## and hence ##\langle v_1 v_2 \rangle = \langle v_2 v_1 \rangle##

i appreciate all help!

Physics news on Phys.org
i should add, part of my confusion is how to we know that 1 corresponds to 4 and 2 to 5 and so on? i mean, if we are measuring, say with hotwire data, is it possible to measure two velocities at the same time?

If you have a suitable hot-wire probe, then yes, you can measure multiple components of the velocity simultaneously provided your data acquisition hardware can sample simultaneously. With enough properly-oriented hot wires, you can even concoct schemes to measure all three velocity and vorticity components simultaneously.

Your question is a little bit confusing, because you talk about RANS and measurements. The Reynolds Averaging approach gives you an equation for the Reynolds stresses, the Reynolds Stress equations. In the RANS approach, you don't calculate the Reynolds stresses from the instantaneous velocity fluctuations but you calculate them, either using the transport equation for the Reynolds stresses or making more assumptions like assuming isotropic turbulence (and solving an equation for the turbulent kinetic energy).

Also note that when you measure the velocity at distinct instances in time, [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] are instantaneous velocities and you need instantaneous velocities to construct the mean and variance. The number averaged mean [itex]<v_1>=2.5 m/s[/itex] and the number averaged mean of the squared velocity is [itex]<v^2_1>=7.5 m^2/s^2[/itex]
The variance is [itex]<v_1v_1>=<v^2_1> - <v_1>^2=7.5-2.5^2 =1.25 m^2/s^2[/itex]

The rules for calculating the covariance can be used to calculate the shear stress <uv>. You can see by interchanging u and v that the covariance <uv> must be equal to <vu>.

Hello there,

Calculating Reynolds stress can be a bit complex, but it is an important concept in fluid mechanics. The Reynolds stress is a measure of the turbulent fluctuations in velocity in a fluid flow. It is defined as the average of the product of the fluctuating velocities in different directions.

To calculate Reynolds stress, you would first need to have data on the fluctuating velocities in different directions, which can be obtained through measurements or simulations. In your example, you have data for the x and y directions, which is a good start.

To calculate the Reynolds stress, you would need to take the average of the product of these fluctuating velocities. In your equation, this would be represented as ##\langle v_i v_j \rangle##. This average is taken over time and space, so you would need to have a large enough dataset to get an accurate calculation.

In your example, you have four measurements for each velocity component, so you would have to take the average of the product of these four data points. Your equation for calculating the Reynolds stress looks correct, but you would need to take the average of each term in the matrix to get the final value.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that Reynolds stress can vary depending on the type of flow and the boundary conditions, so it is important to carefully consider these factors when calculating it. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is Reynold's stress?

Reynold's stress is a term used in fluid mechanics to describe the average amount of kinetic energy transferred between different points in a fluid flow due to turbulent eddies.

2. How is Reynold's stress calculated?

Reynold's stress is calculated by taking the average of the product of the fluctuations in velocity in two different directions in a fluid flow. This is known as the Reynold's stress tensor.

3. What is the role of Reynold's stress in fluid flow?

Reynold's stress is an important factor in understanding turbulent flows, as it helps to quantify the energy transfer between different points in the flow. It is also used in the development of turbulence models and in predicting flow behavior.

4. How does Reynold's stress affect the drag force on an object?

Reynold's stress can contribute to the overall drag force experienced by an object in a fluid flow. The fluctuations in velocity caused by turbulent eddies can increase the drag force, making it more difficult for an object to move through the fluid.

5. Can Reynold's stress be controlled or reduced?

It is difficult to control Reynold's stress directly, but it can be indirectly reduced by minimizing turbulence in a flow. This can be achieved through design changes or by using turbulence reducing techniques such as adding roughness or injecting polymer additives into the flow.