1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reynolds & velocity

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I have been given a couple of questions in which i have to draw a velocity profile in a pipe etc.

We are asked to find the mean & maximum velocitys, velocity pressure & pressure drop. the only 2 parameters we are given are the RE (Reynolds number) & pipe size. We are also told that the fluid is water. So thus we know the density & dynamic viscosity.

The only way i can see that i can find the velocity would be to transpose the formula for RE to get velocity (please correct me if im wrong). But my question is, would this be the mean or maximum velocity? I have assumed mean, but if i am wrong i have stuffed the hole thing.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

The velocity used in the computation of the Reynold's number is indeed the mean velocity.

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook