Reynolds & Velocity: Finding Mean & Max Velocities

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity profile in a pipe, given the Reynolds number and pipe size, for water as the fluid. The only way to calculate the velocity is by transposing the formula for the Reynolds number. However, it is unclear if the mean or maximum velocity should be used, with the assumption that the mean velocity is the correct one.
Libertiene
Hi,

I have been given a couple of questions in which i have to draw a velocity profile in a pipe etc.

We are asked to find the mean & maximum velocitys, velocity pressure & pressure drop. the only 2 parameters we are given are the RE (Reynolds number) & pipe size. We are also told that the fluid is water. So thus we know the density & dynamic viscosity.

The only way i can see that i can find the velocity would be to transpose the formula for RE to get velocity (please correct me if I am wrong). But my question is, would this be the mean or maximum velocity? I have assumed mean, but if i am wrong i have stuffed the hole thing.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Libertiene said:
Hi,

I have been given a couple of questions in which i have to draw a velocity profile in a pipe etc.

We are asked to find the mean & maximum velocitys, velocity pressure & pressure drop. the only 2 parameters we are given are the RE (Reynolds number) & pipe size. We are also told that the fluid is water. So thus we know the density & dynamic viscosity.

The only way i can see that i can find the velocity would be to transpose the formula for RE to get velocity (please correct me if I am wrong). But my question is, would this be the mean or maximum velocity? I have assumed mean, but if i am wrong i have stuffed the hole thing.

Regards

The velocity used in the computation of the Reynold's number is indeed the mean velocity.

CS

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. To find the mean and maximum velocities, you can use the formula for Reynolds number (RE) and solve for velocity. However, this will only give you the mean velocity. To find the maximum velocity, you will need to consider the velocity profile in the pipe. The maximum velocity will occur at the center of the pipe, while the mean velocity will be an average of the velocities across the entire cross-sectional area of the pipe.

To find the velocity pressure and pressure drop, you can use Bernoulli's equation, which relates the velocity, pressure, and elevation of a fluid in a pipe. You will need to know the velocity, pressure, and elevation at two different points along the pipe to calculate the pressure drop.

Since you are given the RE and pipe size, you can also use the Darcy-Weisbach equation to calculate the pressure drop. This equation takes into account the fluid properties, pipe size, and roughness of the pipe walls.

I hope this helps clarify your approach to solving this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

1. What is Reynolds number and why is it important?

Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that describes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. It is important because it helps determine the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) and the associated drag forces on an object.

2. How do you calculate mean velocity?

Mean velocity is calculated by dividing the total volume flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the flow channel. In other words, it is the average speed of fluid particles moving through a given area.

3. What is the difference between mean velocity and maximum velocity?

Mean velocity is the average speed of fluid particles, while maximum velocity is the highest speed reached by a fluid particle in a given flow. Mean velocity is a more useful measure for determining the overall characteristics of a flow, while maximum velocity may be important for certain applications.

4. How do you measure maximum velocity?

Maximum velocity can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as Pitot tubes, hot-wire anemometers, or laser Doppler velocimetry. These instruments work by directly measuring the speed of fluid particles at a specific point in the flow.

5. What factors affect Reynolds number and velocity in a fluid flow?

The viscosity and density of the fluid, the flow velocity, and the characteristic length of the flow channel (such as the diameter of a pipe) all affect Reynolds number. Velocity, on the other hand, is primarily affected by the driving force of the flow (such as a pump or gravity) and any external forces acting on the fluid (such as drag from an object in the flow).