Help Finding RFID Reader & Interfacing for Senior Project

In summary, a senior in college is looking for a project to cap off their schooling and design a concept for replacing barcodes on items with RFID tags. They are having difficulty finding a reasonably priced RFID reader that will read multiple tags at the same time, and need it to interface with a computer. They are also looking for a way to simulate paying with cash and a magnetic card reader.
ajaustin12
Hello.

I am getting ready to start my senior year in college for EET. I had to come up with a senior project, design, and fabricate it. I have an idea of what I want to do but need help understanding it and what product is suffecient for my idea and cost effective for a college student.

Idea
I would like to desing a concept for replacing barcodes on items in any store with RFID tags. (I know that this idea has been thought of before but hasn't been made mainstream. I got the idea off of The History Channel) So the problem that I have ran into is finding a reasonably priced RFID reader that will read multiple RFID tags at the same time or with in a short period. Also the RFID reader must read tags several inches away.

I also need it to interface with a computer. I would like to use the computer to display the item, price, tax, and total. Then use the number keys to simulate paying with cash. I would also like to interface a magnetic card reader like a credit card reader to simulate paying with a credit card.

I am horrible at locating stuff on the internet. It seems I can never put the right parameters in google to get what I want.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ajaustin12 said:
Hello.

I am getting ready to start my senior year in college for EET. I had to come up with a senior project, design, and fabricate it. I have an idea of what I want to do but need help understanding it and what product is suffecient for my idea and cost effective for a college student.

Idea
I would like to desing a concept for replacing barcodes on items in any store with RFID tags. (I know that this idea has been thought of before but hasn't been made mainstream. I got the idea off of The History Channel) So the problem that I have ran into is finding a reasonably priced RFID reader that will read multiple RFID tags at the same time or with in a short period. Also the RFID reader must read tags several inches away.

I also need it to interface with a computer. I would like to use the computer to display the item, price, tax, and total. Then use the number keys to simulate paying with cash. I would also like to interface a magnetic card reader like a credit card reader to simulate paying with a credit card.

I am horrible at locating stuff on the internet. It seems I can never put the right parameters in google to get what I want.

Welcome back, ajustin.

You can read through the "Related Threads" at the bottom of this page (they are selected by title, I believe).

Also, wikipedia is often a good source of introductory material, and often has pointers out to more reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

1. What is an RFID reader and why is it needed for a senior project?

An RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) reader is a device that uses radio waves to communicate with RFID tags. These tags contain unique identification numbers that can be read by the reader. It is needed for a senior project because it allows for easy and accurate tracking of items or data.

2. What are the different types of RFID readers available?

There are three main types of RFID readers: fixed, handheld, and mobile. Fixed readers are stationary and are typically used in a specific location, such as a warehouse or store. Handheld readers are portable and can be carried around to read tags on items. Mobile readers are similar to handheld readers but also have the ability to connect to a mobile device like a smartphone.

3. How do I choose the right RFID reader for my senior project?

When choosing an RFID reader, consider factors such as the type of tags you will be using, the read range needed, and the environment in which the reader will be used. Additionally, consider the features and capabilities of the reader, such as data storage and connectivity options.

4. Can RFID readers be interfaced with other devices for data transfer?

Yes, RFID readers can be interfaced with other devices such as computers, smartphones, or microcontrollers for data transfer. Many readers have USB or Bluetooth connectivity options, allowing for easy integration with other devices.

5. Where can I find RFID readers and interfacing options for my senior project?

There are many online retailers and electronics stores that sell RFID readers and interfacing options. Researching and comparing different options can help you find the best fit for your project. Additionally, reaching out to companies or organizations working with RFID technology may also provide helpful resources and guidance.