Medical Rhesus Negative Conundrum

1. Sep 3, 2014 #1
    So there I was thinking, if the mother was Rhesus Negative and she had a Rhesus positive baby, her antibodies would cross the placenta and attack the Rhesus positive baby's red blood cells (assuming second child).

Then I thought, well, what if the mother was Rhesus positive, and the baby was Rhesus negative?

Well...firstly, Rhesus positive (Rh+) is dominant, yes? It causes the expression of the important "D" antigen on the surface of RBC. Therefore, a Rhesus positive mother and a Rhesus negative father would give a Rhesus positive baby. Therefore, we can conclude that the mother can never be Rhesus positive while the foetus/(baby) was Rhesus negative or at least...this scenario is unlikely?!

But wait...

What if, we took a Rh- mother's egg, and a Rh- father's sperm, fertilised it and through IVF placed it in a Rh+ SURROGATE mother? What effects would occur?!

Would nothing occur because the foetus does not produce antibodies at all?

- Cobby

P.S. Yes I just wanted to let you know I went through the thought process...took a while to get to the question :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3
    Nope..no additional information...that's ok thanks for asking! I'm going to ask some university lecturers too so if I get the answer I'll let ye all know :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted