1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rhizopus and Annelids

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) What life stage performs sexual reproduction in Rhizopus?
    2) What capability does the body plan of annelids in general give them?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) Asexual reproduction occurs during the haploid stage while sexual reproduction occurs during the life stages hapliod, diploid, and heterokayotic. *Am i miss understanding the question? Is their a sole life stage where sexual reproduction occurs in Rhizopus?

2) The segmented body plan of annelids allows them to move side to side. (i rationalized that when i think about how Earthworms move) But in some annelids does the body plan allow for telescopic body movement or is it solely side to side?

Any help would be great thank you pf!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Earthworms are definitely capable of moving by expanding and contracting their body length.

But I think you are missing the point of the question - it is not about how they move, but about why body constructed from many similar segments is better from the body made of a single one. Did you know that even our skulls bear traces of the segmented body plan? Not to mention spine, which is a direct application of the same idea. Obviously it is highly successful.

I am not sure about the first question. But I guess it must be described - or somehow related to - things mentioned here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zygomycete#Reproduction

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3
    Do all annelids possess that ability to move telescopically or are their exceptions to that found in nature? I was actually aware that through further reading! And your right it does, but it only speaks of the asexual stage which i understand :) It is the sexual stages that i am looking for!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted