Derivation of the Vacuum Einstein Equations: Understanding ln det g = 1

• A
  • Thread starter PGaccount
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that the vacuum Einstein equations can be written as ln det g = 1 and asks for the derivation of this equation. However, there is confusion about whether this equation is equivalent to Ricci = 0 and if it contains all the necessary information. Further context is provided, stating that the equation is only valid for a Kahler manifold.
PGaccount
I read somewhere that the vacuum Einstein equations can be written as

ln det g = 1

Does anyone know the derivation of this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PrashantGokaraju said:
I read somewhere...
Where?

Green Schwarz Witten, Volume II. page 440

PrashantGokaraju said:

ln det g = 0

That is not the same as Ricci=0.

How can one equation contain all the information of 1/2*D*(D+1) equations?

That is what GSW says. Can someone look at it?

There is context that you haven't provided. They don't say that this is the vacuum Einsein equations. They say that the Ricci = 0 for a Kahler manifold is equivalent to ln(det g) = 1.

Likes Martin Scholtz and weirdoguy
PrashantGokaraju said:

ln det g = 1

This cannot be true since it is not a differential equation for the metric. #Ric=0# are vacuum Einstein's equations and thus 2nd derivatives must appear. I don't have the book you cite, can you give us some context?

martinbn said:
There is context that you haven't provided. They don't say that this is the vacuum Einsein equations. They say that the Ricci = 0 for a Kahler manifold is equivalent to ln(det g) = 1.

Thanks, I didn't know this.

1. What is the Vacuum Einstein Equation?

The Vacuum Einstein Equation is a set of equations that describe the behavior of gravity in the absence of matter or energy. It is derived from Einstein's theory of general relativity and is used to understand the curvature of space-time in the absence of any external influences.

2. What does ln det g = 1 mean in the context of the Vacuum Einstein Equation?

The ln det g = 1 term in the Vacuum Einstein Equation represents the determinant of the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of space-time. This term is equal to 1 in vacuum, meaning that space-time is flat and there is no curvature in the absence of matter or energy.

3. How is the Vacuum Einstein Equation derived?

The Vacuum Einstein Equation is derived by applying the principles of Einstein's theory of general relativity to the vacuum, where there is no matter or energy present. This involves manipulating the equations of general relativity to remove the effects of matter and energy, resulting in a simplified equation that describes the behavior of gravity in the absence of external influences.

4. Why is understanding the Vacuum Einstein Equation important?

Understanding the Vacuum Einstein Equation is important because it allows us to study the behavior of gravity in the absence of matter or energy. This can provide insights into the fundamental nature of space and time, and can also help us make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe, such as black holes and gravitational waves.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Vacuum Einstein Equation?

The Vacuum Einstein Equation has many real-world applications, including in the fields of astrophysics, cosmology, and gravitational wave detection. It is used to study the behavior of black holes, the evolution of the universe, and the detection of gravitational waves. It also has practical applications in the development of space travel and satellite navigation systems.