Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rice cookers

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1

Are there rice cookers that doesn't release steam outside?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2
    Probably not. Its got to get rid of the steam somehow. Why do you need one that doesn't release steam? Mine is a small one with a small hole in the lid to release steam. Its hardly noticable. The kitchen is small but not closet sized.
  4. Sep 15, 2008 #3
    You could perhaps run a tube from the steam vent into a jar (or similar) of water to condense the steam...if it really is that important to be steam free.

I also know you can use rice cookers as stills...(random fact)
  5. Sep 15, 2008 #4
    My Rice cooker Mr. Chen is a really nice guy. He always does a good job and he's never once lost his cool when we've talked outside. :devil:

What I learned from IHYRUNNN CHEFFAAH (said in funny accent), is that when you steam rice, the top rice is the best quality, and the bottom is of lesser quality. Also, when you cook the rice, you're supposed to (wash?) the grains in water the same temperature as the water in the cooker so it doesn't shock the rice. I guess if you do that you get nice fluffy sticky white rice.
  6. Sep 15, 2008 #5
    Rice cookers release steam. What's the big deal?
    My cooker broke but it did serve me for 5 years. Its a good investment. For those who don't know, the cooker turns off by itself when the rice is done, so it's somewhat idiot-proof.
    My recipie is to cook the rice. Crack two or three eggs into the rice. Add alot of catsup and salt. Stir. Ahhh, life is good.
  7. Sep 15, 2008 #6
    That's... just strange.
  8. Sep 15, 2008 #7
    Vomitous was the word that came to mind.
  9. Sep 16, 2008 #8

Because there is an overly sensitive smoke detector in my room. Would steam set it off?
  10. Sep 16, 2008 #9
    I don't think it should. There are two different types...
    Ionization detectors and photoelectric. Apparently the photoelectric are less likely to be set off by steam but even the Ionization detectors should require alot of steam to set them off. I have a small three cup cooker and the steam from it seems negligable until you take the top off. Even that doesn't seem to amount to much and if you let it sit awhile before opening it most of it will be condensed. If you're in a small sized dorm room it might be more noticable but I wouldn't think that it would set off the detector.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?