Rice Shortage Felt Around The World

• News
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary, the rice shortage is not happening in the U.S. However, because of the diversion of food production to biofuels, there will be a shortage in Asia and other parts of the world.
edward
Some major retailers have even begun to ration rice, NBC Correspondent Noelle Walker reported. Experts said a shortage in Asia and a drought in Australia are beginning to affect other parts of the world, including the United States.

Some of the largest rice exporters have restricted exports.

I noticed this at Sam's club yesterday.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15967392/detail.html

Yet apparently the U.S. paid farmers not to grow rice last year.

Imagine, then, that our federal government paid hundreds of millions of dollars in 2006 to keep farmers from growing rice -- $218 million in Arkansas alone, according to this story.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/environment/archives/137608.asp?from=blog_last3

I guess now the issue is whether we did not see this coming or we did not see the speculation coming.

The whole rice issue comes along with a rapid rise in food prices in general:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
edward said:
I guess now the issue is whether we did not see this coming or we did not see the speculation coming.:confused:
It's great news, we pay $200M to farmers not to grow rice, creating a shortage - which boosts prices which makes farmers an extra $200M - thus saving tax payers from paying them even more.

I wouldn't have thought about it like that. I know I heard about it yesterday when I was listening to the news at work. I also loved how they mentioned there was a rice shortage, but afterward mentioned that it was a shortage in Asian nations, not here in the U.S. However, people aren't going to focus on that, they will focus on the fact there is a shortage, nothing else.

misskitty said:
I wouldn't have thought about it like that. I know I heard about it yesterday when I was listening to the news at work. I also loved how they mentioned there was a rice shortage, but afterward mentioned that it was a shortage in Asian nations, not here in the U.S. However, people aren't going to focus on that, they will focus on the fact there is a shortage, nothing else.
There is no rice shortage anywhere.

Where do these rumors start? Maybe someone overheard another in a mens bathroom at some bar in Shanghai and bingo! Mass hysteria and panic about a shortage that doesn't exist!

drankin said:
Where do these rumors start? Maybe someone overheard another in a mens bathroom at some bar in Shanghai and bingo! Mass hysteria and panic about a shortage that doesn't exist!

Where do you get your information from? Are you at every rice farm and market around the world simultaneously? If not I'd like to at least see some sources. Most of these issues are real and should never be taken in light of.

djeitnstine said:
Where do you get your information from? Are you at every rice farm and market around the world simultaneously? If not I'd like to at least see some sources. Most of these issues are real and should never be taken in light of.

The local Asian restraunt where I had lunch today. They didn't skimp on the rice.

edward said:
I guess now the issue is whether we did not see this coming or we did not see the speculation coming.

But we did see this coming.

One of the triggers for this was the diversion of food production to biofuel production. The
Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 mandates an increase of almost an order of magnitude in the use of biofuels. During debate, this exact point was brought up, and it was pooh-poohed as the propaganda of Big Oil.

Just because a Republican says it doesn't make it wrong.

mgb_phys said:
It's great news, we pay $200M to farmers not to grow rice, creating a shortage - which boosts prices which makes farmers an extra $200M - thus saving tax payers from paying them even more.

It isn't the farmers making the money, though. Have you noticed the price of diesel is well over $4.00 a gallon in some areas? The farmers are having to raise prices just to keep up with the high demand and high fuel costs to farm the food. In addition to that, more farm space is being allocated by the industry to accommodate the increasing use of biofuels. That will equal lower supply of rice, and that should equal higher prices, not rationing.

I think it's high time the government stop sticking their noses into every industry and let the free market do its job. It would also help Americans a lot more if the politicians would quit using our hard earned money they politely borrow every year and spending it on third world countries. Almost every problem Americans are facing now are either directly or indirectly involved with our interventionist foreign policy.

1. What is causing the rice shortage felt around the world?

The rice shortage is primarily caused by extreme weather events such as droughts, floods, and typhoons that have affected major rice-producing countries like India, China, and Thailand.

2. How is the rice shortage affecting the global food supply?

The rice shortage is affecting the global food supply as rice is a staple food for over half of the world's population. This means that people in affected countries may struggle to access or afford this essential food source, leading to potential food insecurity and malnutrition.

3. Are there any other factors contributing to the rice shortage?

In addition to extreme weather events, other factors contributing to the rice shortage include an increase in demand for rice due to population growth and rising incomes, as well as trade policies and export restrictions implemented by some countries to protect their domestic supply.

4. How are governments and organizations addressing the rice shortage?

Governments and organizations are taking various measures to address the rice shortage, such as providing financial assistance and incentives to farmers, promoting sustainable farming practices, and investing in research and development to improve rice production.

5. Will the rice shortage continue in the future?

It is difficult to predict if the rice shortage will continue in the future, as it depends on various factors such as weather patterns, global demand, and government policies. However, efforts are being made to mitigate the impact of the rice shortage and ensure a stable supply of this essential food source for the future.

Back