Is Rice University the Best Choice for Physics Research Opportunities?

In summary: So, in summary, I'm conflicted on whether to go to Rice or Rutgers. I'm leaning towards Rutgers because of their proximity and the research opportunities they offer, but I'm still open to the idea of going to Rice university.
Nano-Passion
I have been seeing a lot of exciting research being dished out from Rice University. I've considered that university before but ultimately planned for Rutgers university because of close proximity and prowess in physics and mathematics. But I'm a bit worried that Rutgers university won't foster my potential. After all, research is very important for any physics undergraduate.

Any thoughts? Should I opt for a more research acclaimed universities?

A bit of background:
-I'll be completing my associates in physics next fall semester.
-As of this moment, my curriculum consists of Calc II & Physics II [not my only classes of course].
-I'm a bit curious of computational neuroscience so I'll be taking a couple classes here and there in that respective field of study.
-I'm planning to research under physics, but I'm also not ignoring the possibility that computational neuroscience might suit me.
-Pursuing PhD in Physics & bachelors/masters in math.
-Keep in mind that I attend a community college and probably won't apply for "top tier" schools as a consequence.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here we go again. We keep telling you over and over that your ideas on school strengths are wrong, and you keep ignoring us. Please read the N previous threads you've posted on it.

Rutgers is an excellent school. The idea that you are too good for Rutgers is unsupported by the facts.

Vanadium 50 said:
Here we go again. We keep telling you over and over that your ideas on school strengths are wrong, and you keep ignoring us. Please read the N previous threads you've posted on it.

Rutgers is an excellent school. The idea that you are too good for Rutgers is unsupported by the facts.

Vanadium, your advice has not went in vain! I hope you don't believe that I ignore you because its simply not true. In fact, I'm adamant of applying to Rutgers but wanted a bit of perspective. This is not a thread about ranks because Rutgers is ranked higher in the math and physics department than in Rice university [and yet I considered Rice university]; and I realize rank is extremely insignificant at this stage [and its much much more complicated than just a rank].

At this moment there is only one thing that I consider significant. And that is the research opportunities being offered. Which brings me back to my original question of whether Rice university would better suit me, because I've been seeing a lot of good research coming from them and relatively little from Rutgers university. On the other side, Rutgers has one of the best high-energy physics programs. Things start to get complicated when you consider that Rice university isn't as pressing on high-energy physics as compared to Rutgers. Furthermore, most of the research I've seen from Rice university falls in the applied physics department and not theory.

1. What types of research are conducted at Rice University?

Rice University conducts a wide range of research in various fields including science, technology, humanities, and social sciences. Some of the major research areas include engineering, nanotechnology, energy, health, and sustainability.

2. How is Rice University involved in cutting-edge research?

Rice University is committed to conducting innovative and impactful research. The university has state-of-the-art facilities and collaborates with leading institutions and industry partners to push the boundaries of knowledge and make groundbreaking discoveries.

3. Can students get involved in research at Rice University?

Yes, students at Rice University have numerous opportunities to participate in research. Undergraduate and graduate students can work on research projects with faculty members, and there are also programs available for students to conduct their own independent research.

4. What impact has Rice University's research had on society?

Rice University's research has had a significant impact on society. It has led to the development of new technologies, contributed to advancements in various fields, and helped address global challenges. Some notable examples include the development of the first artificial heart and the creation of carbon nanotubes.

5. How is Rice University's research funded?

Rice University's research is primarily funded through grants from government agencies, foundations, and corporations. The university also receives funding from philanthropic donations and partnerships with industry and other institutions.