Richardson & Kucinich - The ET candidates?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Governor Richardson has been friendly with the conspiracy community, and has spoken out about the UFO incident in Roswell. Many people in the conspiracy community support Governor Richardson, because he is sympathetic to their views.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bill Richardson Enters ’08 Field
Sign In to E-Mail or Save This Print Reprints Share
DiggFacebookNewsvinePermalink

By CHRISTINE HAUSER
Published: January 21, 2007
Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico jumped into the 2008 presidential race today, announcing that he had formed a campaign exploratory committee in order to seek the Democratic nomination. [continued]
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/u...&en=7e45b2bbd7d4a4ba&ei=5094&partner=homepage

I can't help but wonder if this will play a significant role - the ET candidate? In fact he has been friendly with the conspiracy crowd.

Ten years after the U.S. Air Force closed its books on the claim that a UFO crashed in Roswell, N.M., in 1947, a top Democratic Party figure wants to reopen the investigation into the cosmic legend.

...Now Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico, who chaired the recent Democratic convention in Boston, says in his foreword to a new book that "the mystery surrounding this crash has never been adequately explained -- not by independent investigators, and not by the U.S. government. ... There are as many theories as there are official explanations. [continued]
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/08/16/MNGAK88OQQ1.DTL

Of course he is a lead pipe cinch for the UFO vote. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: What a quiet thread...

Can you imagine what Rove would do with this?

Last edited:
I live in NM and think its a waste of time for him to join this election, taxpayer money goes to all these candidates and its a total waste. The money would be much better spent on most anything else.

Why? Is it that he has no chance of winning, or has he been that bad of a Governer? If so, how?

I don't think he has been a bad governor, For the time I've been here he's been ok. The only thing I have to complain about is he spends too much time out of state. I am not sure why I don't think he has a chance. But I guess for one he'll most likely be running against giants(clinton,obama,dean...and others) Sorry I can't really think of anything at the moment but ill post back if i think of some others. Although one reason isn't that good. Although I don't think it was right for him to rerun for governor if he was going to run for president, that just means that we basically won't have an elected official in office for much of his term.(I understand that nearly all candidates do this though) I am personally hoping for obama or mccain to get the nomination for either of the parties.

I live in New Mexico as well. I think Richardson has done a decent job here, but as trajan said, I don't think he has much of a shot against the big guns.

Also, this governor re-election ad a few months back was pretty lame :rofl::

Last edited by a moderator:
There is always the fact that by running he can help bring issues important to him and New Mexico - like immigration - to the national discussion. Often this is the real intent of candidates who could likely not win.

But you never know... Carter virtually came out of nowhere. At first no one believed that an unknown peanut farmer from Georgia could possibly get elected.

heh, that's true, I thought of a few more any how not that I in any way judge people by this but since the era of the television has come about no president comes to mind that had a poor public image, I think him being overweight could be a liability. I've heard of studies where many women vote purely on looks and I can't imagine this not being true. He also doesn't appeal to a major demographic. Texas will always go republican with basically only the city of El Paso being democrat, California always goes democrat. The two major hispanic states will go that direction regardless of who's running. ( unless perhaps arnold was somehow able to run, I guess that could swing california)I agree that sometimes it is to bring important issues up but immigration has plenty of publicity, it isn't necessary to run for president to bring up the issue. I know presidents can come from nowhere but this really seems like a longshot.

and matt is right about the election adds, they were pretty funny

Last edited:
We still don't have a workable immigration policy. He may well have his sights on helping to shape that discussion in ways that he couldn't otherwise; even as Governer.

Just out of curiosity, how often does the Roswell stuff come up; if ever? Do people give him a bad time about this or has it remained under the RADAR? I know of at least two UFO [really I should say Roswell, not UFO] press events in which he was highly visible.

mattmns said:

Hey, I like it! It's positive [no attacks], it appears that he has accomplished a few things of significance, and it's humorous. And, as a politician he's allowed to be lame. :biggrin:

And with the commercial space port opening at Roswell, I got the space movie joke. :biggrin:

True our immigration policy has been a disastor for some time, if you could say we even have one.

I actually haven't heard of anything Roswell related with him, I have only been here for about 2 years though. Plus I generally stay away from all the news stations except the news hour and sometimes bbc. So this might have slipped past me. What happened in Roswell concerning him?

And your right I have to give him credit that he didnt have many if any attack ads. Although there wasnt much of a race anyway, he basically won by a landslide.

Shush, you people...I used to come to this thread for some peace and quiet! Now look what y'all've done! :grumpy:

Gokul43201 said:
Shush, you people...I used to come to this thread for some peace and quiet! Now look what y'all've done! :grumpy:

Sure, but just think of how exciting it is that I was able to reference to "the UFO vote". This must be a first - historic. I wonder how the demographics will play out! :biggrin:

trajan22 said:
What happened in Roswell concerning him?

...the alleged crashed flying saucer? When I say Roswell, that's what I mean.

Sorry, I had just barely looked over the articles you posted about Roswell. In answer to your question no I had not heard anything concerning the crash in 46. At least nothing concerning him wanting answers.

This was really the point of the thread: I would expect this to be a huge political liablity when the mud slinging starts.

I suppose, although like I said earlier I am not sure the candidates will be mudslinging against a candidate that doesn't have a big chance in winning.

An ET Candidate? Well, I guess just based on campaign slogans, I like "Nanu Nanu" better that "Let's Chat".

Math Is Hard said:
An ET Candidate? Well, I guess just based on campaign slogans, I like "Nanu Nanu" better that "Let's Chat".

:rofl: "Read my orifices..."

Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson has promised that if elected, he would re-open the famous case of aliens crashing at Roswell, New Mexico in 1947:

Answering questions at a townhall meeting Friday, a Dell employee asked Richardson about the 1947 incident in which many people still believe a flying saucer landed near the eastern New Mexico town.

"I've been in government a long time, I've been in the cabinet, I've been in the Congress and I've always felt that the government doesn't tell the truth as much as it should on a lot of issues," said Richardson, who is governor of New Mexico.

"When I was in Congress I said (to the) Department of Defense ... 'What is the data? What is the data you have?' " He was told that the records were classified. "That ticked me off," he said, as the crowd laughed.

"What do you want me to do? You want me to open up all those files?" he asked the alien enthusiast, who answered that he did. "I'll work with you on that." [continued]
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/10/bill_richardson_would_reinvest.html

But wait! Just in, Kucinich is good buddies with Shirley MacLaine, who writes:
"He saw a gigantic triangular craft, silent, and observing him. It hovered for about ten minutes or so, and sped away with a speed he couldn't comprehend. He felt a connection in his heart and heard directions in his mind."

A spokesperson for Congressman Kucinich tells Fox 8 News Kucinich has no comment.[continued]
http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Who will win the battle for hearts and minds?

mattmns said:

I love the humor in that.

Problem is these days is all the seriousness or should I say uglyness in politics.

I read that one of the first things Bill Clinton did in office was to put his right-hand man on finding out if UFO's are real. They guy spent almost a month on it and came up empty handed.

kach22i said:
I love the humor in that.

Problem is these days is all the seriousness or should I say uglyness in politics.

I read that one of the first things Bill Clinton did in office was to put his right-hand man on finding out if UFO's are real. They guy spent almost a month on it and came up empty handed.

I don't think empty handed is the right way to describe it. At most, no one gave him any information suggesting that the government is intentionally hiding anything, which would seem to be true based on the many government documents in the UFO napster, in S&D, and which are available from the CIA, NSA, DOD, FBI etc databases.

I think part of the reason for the conspiracy theories is the shear volume of classified documents in storage. Not too long ago, I think it was a billion documents awaiting review for declassification. So the overwhelming volume of documents and confusion creates the appearance of a conspiracy. Another problem is that most debunkers don't know the facts, so they constantly misrepresent the credible information.

I'm not sure what drives Richardson, but allegedly he is frustrated by perceived stonewalling on the part of the Feds. Does he see a political advantage in catering to the conspiracy crowd? This doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Richardson... Does he see a political advantage in catering to the conspiracy crowd? This doesn't seem likely.

I think more people (in the USA) believe in UFO's and that life exist on other planets than people who believe in creationism.

Anything is possible.

Poll: U.S. hiding knowledge of aliens
http://www.cnn.com/US/9706/15/ufo.poll/
(CNN) -- Nearly 50 years since an alleged UFO was sighted at Roswell, New Mexico, a new CNN/Time poll released Sunday shows that 80 percent of Americans think the government is hiding knowledge of the existence of extraterrestrial life forms...54 percent believe intelligent life exists outside Earth....As for the Roswell incident, nearly two-thirds of the respondents to the poll said they believed that a UFO crash-landed in a field outside the New Mexico town 50 years ago next month.

This poll is scary....
Poll: Creationism Trumps Evolution
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/22/opinion/polls/main657083.shtml
(CBS) (This poll was conducted November 18-21, 2004.)

Americans do not believe that humans evolved, and the vast majority says that even if they evolved, God guided the process. Just 13 percent say that God was not involved. But most would not substitute the teaching of creationism for the teaching of evolution in public schools.

Support for evolution is more heavily concentrated among those with more education and among those who attend religious services rarely or not at all.

There are also differences between voters who supported Kerry and those who supported Bush: 47 percent of John Kerry’s voters think God created humans as they are now, compared with 67 percent of Bush voters.

God created humans in present form
All Americans
55%

OOPS...creationism wins by 1%, my bad.

Attachments

• blue.gif
    blue.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 437
Wow, I have never seen numbers that high before. But this does cause me to wonder:

CNN) -- Nearly 50 years since an alleged UFO was sighted at Roswell, New Mexico, a new CNN/Time poll released Sunday shows that 80 percent of Americans think the government is hiding knowledge of the existence of extraterrestrial life forms...54 percent believe intelligent life exists outside Earth....As for the Roswell incident, nearly two-thirds of the respondents to the poll said they believed that a UFO crash-landed in a field outside the New Mexico town 50 years ago next month.

How can 80% of the people who responded think we are hiding information about something that only 54% think exist? Still, your point is well taken. I guess that in spite of my making fun here, there might be some real political motivations to respond to this crowd.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
but I liked one response in particular: "I would rather vote for someone who has seen a UFO than someone who doesn't believe in evolution".

Great quote, buy that man and or woman a beer.

Kucinich said:
Well, what I really wanted to say at the debate, was, 'Yes, Tim, I have seen UFOs, and an alien said to be, 'Take me to your leader.' And I told him, well, I don't think our leader is going to want to meet with an illegal alien."
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/11/a_jovial_kucinich_on_a_moonlit.php

I have to mention this quote from the Washington Post today:
We should parse the references. Roswell is, of course, a tourist destination for flying saucer enthusiasts. You probably know the backstory, but I'll summarize it by saying that, in the summer of 1947, just weeks after an initial report on flying saucers and amid a national uproar over the possibility that we were being buzzed by alien spacecraft , a balloon carrying a sensor (part of a military progam called Project Mogul, according to the Air Force) crashed on someone's ranch near Roswell. Cascading misapprehensions and media hype led some people to conclude that it was one of them dang saucers.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/10/31/ufos.html?hpid=topnews

This is what I mean by crackpot debunking: They don't even know the most basic facts.
“On July 8, 1947, the Roswell Army Air Field (RAAF) public information office in Roswell, New Mexico, reported the crash and recovery of a ‘flying disc’. Army Air Force personnel from the RAAF’s 509th Bomb Group were credited with the recovery.”
http://www.nsa.gov/ufo/ufo00032.pdf

The disk story was recanted the next day and replaced with the bogus explanation that it was just a weather balloon. Today, that explanation is replaced with the Mogul story. But the Army itself first thought the debris to be from a flying saucer. Also, some of those involved [e.g. a high ranking intelligence officer] never changed their story, and they are in fact the sources of the captured ET claims.

Responding indirectly to Kucinich, former President Carter chimed in on this today by clarifying that he did see a UFO [he did file an official report with NICAP], but he doesn't think it possible that we have visiting aliens.

Last edited:
Heh, this story [Kucinich] has provided red meat for comedians and comics, and it even made the Sunday Funnies on This Week, on ABC.

It seems that it is still pretty dangerous to see something and call it "unidentified". The funny thing is that I don't recall this happening with Carter or Reagan. In fact, I don't remember their sighthings ever being mentioned until after they served as Presidents.

Last edited:

1. Who are Richardson & Kucinich?

Richardson & Kucinich are two political candidates who ran for the Democratic nomination for the United States presidency in 2008. Both candidates had expressed belief in the existence of extraterrestrial life and advocated for greater government transparency on the subject.

2. What is their stance on extraterrestrial life?

Both Richardson & Kucinich have publicly stated their belief in the existence of extraterrestrial life and have called for more government transparency on the subject. They believe that the American people have a right to know the truth about any potential interactions or sightings of extraterrestrial beings.

3. Have they provided any evidence to support their beliefs?

While both candidates have not provided concrete evidence to support their beliefs, they have both cited personal experiences and testimonies from government officials and military personnel as reasons for their beliefs. They have also called for the declassification of government documents related to UFO sightings and encounters.

4. How have their beliefs affected their political careers?

Richardson & Kucinich's beliefs in extraterrestrial life have not had a significant impact on their political careers. They have both held various political positions and have not faced any major backlash for their beliefs. In fact, their openness about the subject has gained them support from individuals interested in the UFO phenomenon.

5. Have they proposed any policies related to extraterrestrial life?

Both candidates have not proposed any specific policies related to extraterrestrial life. However, they have both advocated for government transparency and the declassification of documents related to UFO sightings and encounters. They have also expressed a desire for peaceful and diplomatic interactions with any potential extraterrestrial civilizations.