1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ricky Bobby?

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Ricky Bobby??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ricky Bobby jumps into his 1003kg pick up and heads out at 69.2mi/h. It's night and he notices too late the warning sign that the bridge is out. He slams on the brakes and skids for 45.2(kinetic friction=0.78)before hitting the long massive coil spring that is rigidly mounted onto the barricade. In addition to his skidding tires, the spring brings him to a stop. The spring constant is 3.57 x 10^4 N/m. how far does he travel after making contact with spring???

2. Relevant equations
    1/2mv^2+1/2Kx^2=1/2mv^2+1/2kx^2 ?????????????????// im not sure if this is the right equation i dont think it is ive looked everywhere in my book to find a relevent equation i was wondering if anyone can point me towards the right equation please

3. The attempt at a solution

refer to (b)2.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ldbaseball16! :smile:

Is that 45.2 feet?

This is an energy problem …

so yes, that equation is right, but you also need to use the work-energy theorem … work done by friction = loss of mechanical energy :wink:

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    Re: Ricky Bobby??

ok Wnet=(1/2)mv^2-(1/2)mv^2 this is the work energy theorem but on the other equation i have to apply the kinetic friction to 45.2m???? right and once i find the conservation of mechanical energy what do i do with that number???? how do i apply it to the work-energy theorem???

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  5. Feb 28, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? :confused: too cryptic :redface:

just do it! :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook