Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving Ricky Bobby driving his 1003kg pickup truck at 69.2mi/h and encountering a rigidly mounted coil spring. The goal is to calculate the distance Ricky travels after hitting the spring, using the work-energy theorem and the equation 1/2mv^2+1/2Kx^2=1/2mv^2+1/2kx^2. The conversation also mentions using the kinetic friction of 0.78 to find the conservation of mechanical energy.
ldbaseball16
Ricky Bobby??

Homework Statement

Ricky Bobby jumps into his 1003kg pick up and heads out at 69.2mi/h. It's night and he notices too late the warning sign that the bridge is out. He slams on the brakes and skids for 45.2(kinetic friction=0.78)before hitting the long massive coil spring that is rigidly mounted onto the barricade. In addition to his skidding tires, the spring brings him to a stop. The spring constant is 3.57 x 10^4 N/m. how far does he travel after making contact with spring?

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2+1/2Kx^2=1/2mv^2+1/2kx^2 ?// I am not sure if this is the right equation i don't think it is I've looked everywhere in my book to find a relevant equation i was wondering if anyone can point me towards the right equation please

The Attempt at a Solution

refer to (b)2.

Physics news on Phys.org
ldbaseball16 said:
Ricky Bobby jumps into his 1003kg pick up and heads out at 69.2mi/h. It's night and he notices too late the warning sign that the bridge is out. He slams on the brakes and skids for 45.2(kinetic friction=0.78)before hitting the long massive coil spring that is rigidly mounted onto the barricade. In addition to his skidding tires, the spring brings him to a stop. The spring constant is 3.57 x 10^4 N/m. how far does he travel after making contact with spring?

1/2mv^2+1/2Kx^2=1/2mv^2+1/2kx^2 ?// I am not sure if this is the right equation

Hi ldbaseball16! :smile:

Is that 45.2 feet?

This is an energy problem …

so yes, that equation is right, but you also need to use the work-energy theorem … work done by friction = loss of mechanical energy :wink:

ok Wnet=(1/2)mv^2-(1/2)mv^2 this is the work energy theorem but on the other equation i have to apply the kinetic friction to 45.2m? right and once i find the conservation of mechanical energy what do i do with that number? how do i apply it to the work-energy theorem?

Last edited:
ldbaseball16 said:
ok Wnet=(1/2)mv^2-(1/2)mv^2 this is the work energy theorem but on the other equation i have to apply the kinetic friction to 45.2m? right

uhh? :confused: too cryptic :redface:

just do it! :rolleyes:

1. What is "Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway" about?

"Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway" is a fictional racing video game that follows the story of Ricky Bobby, a professional race car driver, as he competes in high-speed races on various highways.

2. Is "Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway" based on a real person?

No, Ricky Bobby is a fictional character created specifically for the game. The game is not based on any real-life events or individuals.

3. What platforms is "Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway" available on?

"Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway" is currently available on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC platforms.

4. Can players customize their cars in "Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway"?

Yes, players can customize their cars with various upgrades and modifications to improve performance and aesthetics.

5. Are there any multiplayer modes in "Ricky Bobby: High Speed Adventure on the Highway"?

Yes, the game offers online multiplayer modes where players can compete against each other in high-speed races on the highway.