Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Riddle in a mono-alphabetic code

1. Oct 23, 2003 #1
    Hello,

I have been given a question which consists of a riddle in a mono-alphabetic code - it is a question that is part of our crytography section. Now I have decoded the riddle. But I am not sure if I have solved the riddle.

Here is the riddle I decoded:

Now I didn't have to try hard to figure out a solution:

One way to solve this question was just to count the number of heads. Since there are 11 heads, there must be 11 jungle animals. Therefore there are 7 horses, 11 riders, and 11 jungle animals.

Another way was to say that there are 7 horses, 11 riders, 2 four-footed jungle animals, 1 two-footed animal, and an animal with no legs (Is that the unwarranted assumption? I don't know.)

I can't think of any animals with no legs though. A snake perhaps? Or is a reptile considered an animal? A whale? I recall that whales are mammals. Would a mammal be considered an animal? And if it is a whale, what the heck would a whale be doing in a circus much less a small circus.

Any way, comments on my solution would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yesss, sssnakess are animalss!

4. Oct 23, 2003 #3
    You're spending way too much time in this forum Hurkyl. I think its time for a break.

Cheers.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook