1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riddle in a mono-alphabetic code

1. Oct 23, 2003 #1

I have been given a question which consists of a riddle in a mono-alphabetic code - it is a question that is part of our crytography section. Now I have decoded the riddle. But I am not sure if I have solved the riddle.

Here is the riddle I decoded:

Now I didn't have to try hard to figure out a solution:

One way to solve this question was just to count the number of heads. Since there are 11 heads, there must be 11 jungle animals. Therefore there are 7 horses, 11 riders, and 11 jungle animals.

Another way was to say that there are 7 horses, 11 riders, 2 four-footed jungle animals, 1 two-footed animal, and an animal with no legs (Is that the unwarranted assumption? I don't know.)

I can't think of any animals with no legs though. A snake perhaps? Or is a reptile considered an animal? A whale? I recall that whales are mammals. Would a mammal be considered an animal? And if it is a whale, what the heck would a whale be doing in a circus much less a small circus.

Any way, comments on my solution would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yesss, sssnakess are animalss!
  4. Oct 23, 2003 #3
    You're spending way too much time in this forum Hurkyl. I think its time for a break.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?