Riddle to mystery location

In summary, a group of high school students are trying to solve a riddle given to them by their youth group leader, who has a degree in Physics. The riddle is usually a hint to the location of their annual summer trip, which is kept a secret until a certain deadline. The riddles have become progressively more difficult and have ranged from codes to textual clues. The current riddle is "I see places hidden in my memories" and is proving to be very challenging. The group is unsure if they will be traveling with a youth organization, in which case the possible locations include Navajo Nation, Arizona; Pawley's Island, South Carolina; Montana; and Honduras. They have ruled out Costa Rica and Colorado, and are trying
cknits99
Hi,
Every year, my youth group goes on a summer trip, the location of which is kept a complete secret from us until a certain deadline. Before the deadline, our leaders usually give us a riddle to the location of our trip. Specifically, one of our leaders, who has a degree in Physics from the University of Chicago, enjoys coming up with these riddles. They're always very difficult and in the past have including things like ASCII code. This year, despite the collaboration of our entire high school group, we can't get anything out of this riddle, and we would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
Here it is:

I see places hidden in my memories.

I know this is incredibly vague, but in the past, these riddles have always been doable. Additionally, they have transitioned in recent years from codes to more textual riddles. For example, the riddle last year was "I'm famous for what I do not have" and the answer was Costa Rica (Costa Rica doesn't have a military). Two years ago, the clues were "ranch dressing" and "Stephen King," and the answer was Estes Park, Colorado (Stephen King wrote The Shining at the Stanely Hotel in Estes Park, and ranch dressing refers to the hidden valley ski area in Estes Park).
Also, we may be going on a trip with a certain youth organization, in which case the following locations are possibilities:
Navajo Nation, Arizona
Pawley's Island, South Carolina
Montana (not sure of exact location)
Honduras (again, not sure of the exact location)
We don't know if were going with this organization or not, but it's something to keep in mind. We're also probably more likely than not to stay in the US, but the only thing have been told for sure is that the location is not Costa Rica or Colorado.
Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated! The location will be disclosed on Sunday, so we only have four days to try to break our losing streak against this leader (we haven't been able to solve any of his clues for the past two years). Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a fun challenge.

cknits99 said:
...and ranch dressing refers to the hidden valley ski area in Estes Park).
"Stephen King," makes perfect sense, but I'm not seeing how you'd get from "ranch dressing" to "hidden valley ski area." What's the train of logic there?

zoobyshoe said:
Sounds like a fun challenge."Stephen King," makes perfect sense, but I'm not seeing how you'd get from "ranch dressing" to "hidden valley ski area." What's the train of logic there?

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing is a popular branch of Ranch Dressing, so the "ranch dressing" was a clue to "hidden valley" which was a clue to the hidden valley ski area. It was definitely not a straightforward as the Stephen King clue.

cknits99 said:
Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing is a popular branch of Ranch Dressing, so the "ranch dressing" was a clue to "hidden valley" which was a clue to the hidden valley ski area. It was definitely not a straightforward as the Stephen King clue.
Actually, it makes perfect sense to me. The "ranch" in ranch dressing originates from "Hidden Valley Ranch" brand salad dressing (not the other way around).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranch_dressing

Likes Silicon Waffle
So the clue is: I see places hidden in my memories. I'm not smart at all. And in my own not-smartness I think very famous Memoirs probably have clues. If we talk about USA maybe it's Mount McGregor. Based on what? Based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Memoirs_of_Ulysses_S._Grant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Memoirs_of_Ulysses_S._Grant#Background said:
In June 1885, as the cancer spread through his body, the family moved to Mount MacGregor, New York, to make Grant more comfortable. Propped up on chairs, and too weak to walk, Grant worked to finish the book. Friends, admirers and even a few former Confederate opponents made their way to Mount MacGregor to pay their respects. Grant finished the manuscript on July 18; he died five days later.
I've never read the Memoir and I don't know if it contains description about places, but it's a famous Memoir. I can't come up with other famous Memoirs.

EDIT:

If I go by the word see in the riddle I could probably convert it to sea. And what Memoirs do we have about the sea or islands (which are surrounded by sea)? Hiding Places: A Memoir from the Pirate Princess of Tybee Island. Which points to? Tybee Island.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle
cknits99 said:
I see places hidden in my memories.

Perhaps a place known for computer memory technology or maybe hard drives/SSDs (e.g., South Korea, among other possibilities)? Some of these devices can use encryption ("hiding" the memories, so to speak).

Okay, maybe that's a long shot. :olduhh:

collinsmark said:
Perhaps a place known for computer memory technology or maybe hard drives/SSDs (e.g., South Korea, among other possibilities)? Some of these devices can use encryption ("hiding" the memories, so to speak).

Okay, maybe that's a long shot. :olduhh:
I like that.
Possibilities are so big I'm at a loss. Check it out:

1 3 6 6 2 2 8

The last word has 8 characters and "mountain" has 8 characters. But which mountain in the USA is worth of the word "hidden" in urban legends or history? No idea. Or which mountain in the USA is worth of having many different "places" in one spot? No idea. Or which mountain in the USA has a long history of events which people are reminded of (memories of the past)? No idea. On the other side we have 7 words in the riddle which gives us the following word with 7 characters:

forests

But forests in the USA are a lot (I think). At most, like I said: Tybee Island which is located in Georgia which is a State whose name has 7 characters. Argh, this is hard.

Resume:
  • 7 words
  • 7 characters -> Georgia
  • 'Memory', 'hidden', 'places' -> Hiding Places: A Memoir from the Pirate Princess of Tybee Island
  • Tybee Island -> Georgia

Anyone?

One thing I should add - our youth group often goes on trips that are oriented around volunteering, teambuilding, or outdoor activities; in the past we've helped build a playground at an impoverished school in Costa Rica and gone on teambuilding trip with lots of outdoor activities in Colorado.

Psinter said:
I like that.
Possibilities are so big I'm at a loss. Check it out:

1 3 6 6 2 2 8

The last word has 8 characters and "mountain" has 8 characters. But which mountain in the USA is worth of the word "hidden" in urban legends or history? No idea. Or which mountain in the USA is worth of having many different "places" in one spot? No idea. Or which mountain in the USA has a long history of events which people are reminded of (memories of the past)? No idea. On the other side we have 7 words in the riddle which gives us the following word with 7 characters:

forests

But forests in the USA are a lot (I think). At most, like I said: Tybee Island which is located in Georgia which is a State whose name has 7 characters. Argh, this is hard.

Resume:
  • 7 words
  • 7 characters -> Georgia
  • 'Memory', 'hidden', 'places' -> Hiding Places: A Memoir from the Pirate Princess of Tybee Island
  • Tybee Island -> Georgia

Anyone?
Hmmm... I hadn't really considered that this could be some sort of code... thanks for the idea, I'll have to check into Tybee Island!

cknits99 said:
Hmmm... I hadn't really considered that this could be some sort of code... thanks for the idea, I'll have to check into Tybee Island!
I'm actually throwing random stuff. :confused: I'm clueless.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle and Psinter
gjonesy said:
Hiddenite North Carolina Is a town in the North Carolina mountains, The site of the emerald hollow mine and there is a road in hiddenite called (memory lane)
Awesome! You know a lot! :))

Likes gjonesy
Psinter said:
Awesome! You know a lot! :))

Lucky Guess lol

Psinter said:
I'm actually throwing random stuff. :confused: I'm clueless.
So am I, but I figure the more people throw out random stuff, the more likely one of us is to be right!

So this is a wild guess, but if we take the clue more literally, could the place be hidden in the word "memories?" Because if we look at "memories" we get "Rome," which is definitely a place (though probably an unlikely location for our trip).

A random thought... unlikely helpful... if you take the letters of the alphabet corresponding to the number of letters in the clue, you get
acffbbh
If the H stands for hexadecimal,... 0xACFFBB = 11337659... doesn't ring any bells to me.

Another angle? What's a place that's hidden in your memories that you might not even remember until you see them again? I'd say things from early childhood? Children's hospital is what comes to mind for me.

Update: We have been given another riddle:
I'm in you,
But not in him,
I go up,
But not down,
I'm in the colosseum,
But not a tower,
I'm in a puzzle,
But not a riddle.

This one seems more doable, and in theory, both riddles should have the same answer.

cknits99 said:
Update: We have been given another riddle:
I'm in you,
But not in him,
I go up,
But not down,
I'm in the colosseum,
But not a tower,
I'm in a puzzle,
But not a riddle.

This one seems more doable, and in theory, both riddles should have the same answer.
U

not that that helps much ...

Likes Silicon Waffle
Samy_A said:
U

not that that helps much ...
Thanks! I just talked to the person who gave us the second riddle, and it turns out they were just trying to mess with us, which I sort of suspected, but I wanted to checked what the riddle meant just to make sure.

I like the idea of Hiddenite North Carolina! Could be, it's in the mountains, and that thing about memory lane!

Maybe Navajo nation?

Read about Navajo Mythology:
Wikipedia said:
Diné Bahaneʼ (Navajo: "Story of the People"), the Navajo creation myth, describes the prehistoric emergence of the Navajo, and centers on the area known as the Dinétah, the traditional homeland of the Navajo. This story forms the basis for the traditional Navajo way of life. The basic outline of Diné Bahaneʼ begins with the Niłchʼi Diyin (Holy Wind) being created, the mists of lights which arose through the darkness to animate and bring purpose to the four Diyin Dineʼé (Holy People), supernatural and sacred in the different three lower worlds. All these things were spiritually created in the time before the Earth existed and the physical aspect of humans did not exist yet, but the spiritual did.
The first three worlds could be considered "places hidden in the memories" of the Navajo people.

Samy_A said:
Maybe Navajo nation?

Read about Navajo Mythology:

The first three worlds could be considered "places hidden in the memories" of the Navajo people.
Awesome, awesome, awesome. :thumbup:

I've been wondering what is a youth group.

Mstef said:
I like the idea of Hiddenite North Carolina! Could be, it's in the mountains, and that thing about memory lane!
I'm not sure any more, Hiddenite does have outdoor activities like gem hunting, it is the only spot on the east coast you can find emeralds and the only place on Earth you can find hiddenite. But what does the letter U have to do with hiddenite NC ?

I see places hidden in my memories.= place Hidden in my memory

I'm in you,
But not in him,
I go up,
But not down,
I'm in the colosseum,
But not a tower,
I'm in a puzzle,
But not a riddle. answer ; U abbreviation for universityBest guess; Final answer Emory universityhttp://www.emory.edu/home/index.html

So what do you guys think?
Place hidden (in) my memory= EMORY

gjonesy said:
I'm in you,
But not in him,
I go up,
But not down,
I'm in the colosseum,
But not a tower,
I'm in a puzzle,
But not a riddle
definitely U

EMORY U
gotta be EMORY university.

1. What is a "Riddle to mystery location"?

A "Riddle to mystery location" is a game or activity where participants are given clues or riddles that they must solve in order to discover the location of a hidden or secret place. It is a fun and challenging way to explore new places and exercise critical thinking skills.

2. How do you come up with the riddles for a "Riddle to mystery location"?

The riddles for a "Riddle to mystery location" can be created by considering the unique features, history, or landmarks of the location. They should be challenging but also provide enough information for the participants to solve them.

3. What are some tips for successfully completing a "Riddle to mystery location"?

Some tips for completing a "Riddle to mystery location" include reading the riddles carefully, paying attention to details and clues, and working together as a team. It can also be helpful to take breaks and revisit the riddles with a fresh perspective if you get stuck.

4. Can "Riddle to mystery location" be played alone?

While "Riddle to mystery location" is typically played with a group of people, it is possible to play alone. However, it may be more challenging and less enjoyable without the collaboration and brainstorming of a group.

5. Is "Riddle to mystery location" appropriate for all ages?

Yes, "Riddle to mystery location" can be adapted for all ages by adjusting the difficulty level of the riddles. It can be a great activity for families, team-building exercises, or even as a fun educational tool for students.