Ridid body equilibrium, tension in hanging wires

In summary, the problem involves a shelf supported by two vertical wires attached to the ceiling, with a small tool placed on the shelf. Using the conditions for equilibrium and the lever arm equation, the tensions in the left and right wires are found to be 25N and 49N, respectively. These values add up to the total weight of the shelf and tool, confirming the solution.
clope023
[SOLVED] ridid body equilibrium, tension in hanging wires

Homework Statement

A 60.0cm, uniform, 49.0N shelf is supported horizontally by two vertical wires attached to the sloping ceiling. A very small 25.0N tool is placed on the shelf midway between the points where the wires are attached to it.

YF-11-23.jpg

a) find the tension in the left wire
b) find the tension in the right wire

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = 0 (condition for equilibrium)

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = 0 (condition for equilibirum)

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]z = 0 (condition for equilibirum)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = 0 = TL(.25m) + TR(.75m) - (25+49) = 0

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = 0

tension in the left wire (torque measured from right wire)

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]z = 0 =TR(0) + TL(.6) + 25(.2) + 49(.3)

TL = 33N

tension in the right wire (torque measured from left wire)

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]z = 0 =TL(0) + TR(.2) + 25(.4) + 49(.3)

TR = 124N

checking with the FY equation I don't think I got the correct tensions, any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units on the [itex]\Sigma F_Y=0[/itex] equation; you are mixing N-m and N. Why?

EDIT: Also, some of your distances look off. The moment around a point is the force multiplied by the lever arm (the perpendicular distance to the line of force).

Mapes said:
Check your units on the [itex]\Sigma F_Y=0[/itex] equation; you are mixing N-m and N. Why?

I see that now, I wasn't exactly sure what the vertical distances for the wire pertained to (or if they pertained to anything at all).

is it that the entire distance of the rod doesn't come to play, and it's only a distance of .4m (between the 2 wires) that's being examined?

It should help to draw a free-body diagram of the bar to make it clear what forces are applied.

Mapes said:
It should help to draw a free-body diagram of the bar to make it clear what forces are applied.

I'm aware of what forces are applied, the left tension, the right right tension, the weight of the tool and the rod; I'm pretty sure the two wires have normal forces with the ceiling (but wasn't sure if they apply here), but really it doesn't seem that the extra .20m to the right of the .75m long wire is relevant, to the problem.

I got it.

I used TR(.4) + 49(.3) + 25(.2) = 0

TR = 49N

used TL(.4) + 49(.3) - 25(.2) = 0

TL = 25N

TR+TL = 74

74 = 74

Looks good. I assume you meant TL(.4) - 49(.1) - 25(.2) = 0 on the second equation.

1. What is rigid body equilibrium?

Rigid body equilibrium refers to a state in which a non-deformable object, or rigid body, is not experiencing any external forces or moments that would cause it to move or rotate. In other words, all the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero and no acceleration.

2. How is tension calculated in hanging wires?

Tension in hanging wires can be calculated using the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces in the x-direction and y-direction must equal zero. In the case of a hanging wire, the tension force is equal to the weight of the object being supported by the wire, as well as any additional external forces acting on the wire.

3. What factors affect the tension in a hanging wire?

The tension in a hanging wire is affected by the weight of the object being supported, as well as any external forces such as wind or vibrations. The length and angle of the wire can also impact the tension, as longer wires or wires with a greater angle of inclination will experience greater tension.

4. How does the distribution of weight along a hanging wire impact tension?

The distribution of weight along a hanging wire can impact the tension in the wire. If the weight is evenly distributed, the tension will be uniform throughout the wire. However, if the weight is unevenly distributed, the tension will be greater in areas where there is more weight, and less in areas with less weight.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding rigid body equilibrium and tension in hanging wires?

Understanding rigid body equilibrium and tension in hanging wires is crucial in various engineering and construction applications. For example, it is used in the design and construction of bridges, cranes, and other structures that rely on cables and wires for support. It is also important in rock climbing and mountaineering, where understanding tension in ropes and cables is crucial for safety. Additionally, it is used in everyday objects such as hanging shelves and clotheslines.