Riding a bicycle around a tree w/ constant acceleration

In summary, the bicycle rider would have an angular speed of 1.5386 rad/s around the 43 m African baobab tree.
Fernando Calvario

Homework Statement

African baobab trees can have circumferences of up to 43.0 m. Imagine riding a bicycle around a
tree this size. If, starting from rest, you travel a distance of 162 m around the tree with a constant
angular acceleration of 5.00 × 10–2 rad/s2, what will your final angular speed be?

Homework Equations

circumference = 2*pi*r ; ω = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of isolating r from the circumference and I got 6.844m. I planned using this for angular speed equation but then I had to deal with angular acceleration. At which point, I got confused given how I am a novice at this

Physics news on Phys.org
Fernando Calvario said:
had to deal with angular acceleration
Angular motion has close parallels with linear motion. What equation would you use if you were given a distance, a standing start, and a linear acceleration and wanted to find the final velocity?

haruspex said:
Angular motion has close parallels with linear motion. What equation would you use if you were given a distance, a standing start, and a linear acceleration and wanted to find the final velocity?
vf ^2 = vi^2 + 2aΔx

Fernando Calvario said:
vf ^2 = vi^2 + 2aΔx
Right. Try converting that to angular entities.

So I did this: ωf = √2(5*10^-2 rad/s^2)(162m-43m). I got 3.446 m/s

Fernando Calvario said:
So I did this: ωf = √2(5*10^-2 rad/s^2)(162m-43m). I got 3.446 m/s
Not so fast... let's get the general equation right first. Write it all in terms of angular quantities, i.e. no linear velocities, linear accelerations or linear displacements.

haruspex said:
Not so fast... let's get the general equation right first. Write it all in terms of angular quantities, i.e. no linear velocities, linear accelerations or linear displacements.

ωf2 = ωi2 + 2a (θf - θi)

Fernando Calvario said:
ωf2 = ωi2 + 2a (θf - θi)
What is a there? Angular acceleration is usually written α. If that is what you meant, yes.

Oh yes that's what I meant. I tend to forget the proper symbol

Fernando Calvario said:
Oh yes that's what I meant. I tend to forget the proper symbol
OK, so what do you get for the answer now?

3.4496 m/s

Fernando Calvario said:
3.4496 m/s
The question asks for an angular speed, not a linear speed.

*rad/s (some Freudian slip there hehe if the units is the only thing wrong)

Fernando Calvario said:
*rad/s (some Freudian slip there hehe if the units is the only thing wrong)
No, it's less than that.
What are you plugging into your equation in post #7 for α and θf?

α = 5.00 * 10^-2 rad/s^2
θƒ = 162m
Oooh, I get it now I got the wrong θi. It should be 0

Fernando Calvario said:
θƒ = 162m
θƒ should be an angle, in radians. Remember - no linear quantities.

θƒ = 23.672 rads (??)

Fernando Calvario said:
θƒ = 23.672 rads (??)
Looks about right. So what do you get now?

≈1.5386 rad/s

Fernando Calvario said:
≈1.5386 rad/s
Much better. No need for so many digits, though.

haruspex said:
Much better. No need for so many digits, though.
I'll take note. Thank you

1. How does constant acceleration affect riding a bicycle around a tree?

Constant acceleration refers to a situation where the velocity of an object changes at a constant rate. In the case of riding a bicycle around a tree, constant acceleration would result in a consistent change in speed, either increasing or decreasing, as the bicycle moves around the tree.

2. What factors influence the amount of acceleration when riding a bicycle around a tree?

The amount of acceleration when riding a bicycle around a tree can be influenced by several factors, including the mass and weight of the rider and bicycle, the friction between the tires and the ground, and the angle at which the bicycle is traveling around the tree.

3. Can constant acceleration cause the rider to lose control of the bicycle?

Yes, constant acceleration can potentially cause the rider to lose control of the bicycle. If the acceleration is too high or sudden, it can cause the rider to lose balance and potentially fall off the bicycle. It is important for the rider to maintain control and adjust their speed accordingly when riding around a tree with constant acceleration.

4. How does the radius of the tree affect the acceleration when riding a bicycle around it?

The radius of the tree can have a significant impact on the acceleration when riding a bicycle around it. A larger radius will result in a longer distance to travel, which can lead to a higher acceleration to maintain a constant speed. On the other hand, a smaller radius will require less acceleration to maintain a constant speed.

5. Is it more difficult to ride a bicycle around a tree with constant acceleration compared to constant speed?

Riding a bicycle around a tree with constant acceleration can be more challenging compared to constant speed. With constant acceleration, the rider must continuously adjust their speed and balance to maintain a constant distance from the tree. However, with constant speed, the rider can maintain a consistent distance from the tree without needing to adjust their speed as frequently.