How Do String Theorists Visualize Branes and Strings in Multiple Dimensions?

• Thread starter rrw4rusty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary: However, it is important to keep in mind that there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing research in this field, so there is no definitive answer to your question about how exactly this connection works. I hope this helps clarify the concept of membranes in string theory and gives you a better understanding of the topic. Best of luck with your project!Sincerely,[Your Name]
rrw4rusty
Hi,

My latest animation project has shown how big (or small) subatomic particles and strings are in relationship to each other and how much empty space exists in the quantum world. Now I need to move on to membranes and here there’s a practical problem.

First I’ll show the ‘logical view’ the familiar brane stack… waving vertical sheets with a different world on each one. Then I’ll show the physical view of the brane… a very very thin and very very long ‘thing’ floating next to me saying that this is what the membrane really looks like. They I’ll say that everything we can see and interact with has the ends of its strings attached to the same membrane.

At this point in the animation I will single out four strings: one in my eye; one in a wall 10 feet away, one in my pool, and one in the sun. Then I’ll show the long thin brane snaking around to each one so they can connect their ends to it. Then I point out that really everything has godzillions of strings and the brane will start to snake to everyone of them basically painting everything. Then I’ll say that’s ridiculous and make all of that vanish.

Here’s where I need help. How exactly do string theorists see this working? My thought is that the ends of each string dangle into the 11th dimension and there in that dimension they find our brane. Inside the 11th dimension we see the long, thin brane and all the strings in our universe connecting to it but outside the 11th dimension we see our universe with strings were they should be and nothing snaking around to each one.

But this is just a wild guess… help me out here.

Thanks,
Rusty

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Rusty,

Thank you for sharing your animation project and your question about the concept of membranes in string theory. I find your project very interesting and I would be happy to help you with your question.

Firstly, let me clarify that the concept of membranes in string theory is also known as branes, short for "braneworlds." These are theoretical objects that are believed to exist in higher dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with. In string theory, the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These strings are believed to be able to interact with each other through the exchange of particles called gravitons.

Now, to answer your question about how string theorists see the connection between strings and branes, let me start by saying that there are different types of branes in string theory. The most commonly studied ones are called D-branes, which are objects that can have open strings attached to them. In your animation, you have mentioned four strings connected to the same brane, which is a correct representation of how D-branes work. However, it is worth noting that in string theory, there are also other types of branes, such as closed branes, which do not have any open strings attached to them.

To visualize how strings connect to branes, it might be helpful to think of the brane as a kind of "cosmic membrane" that exists in higher dimensions. In this view, the strings are like threads that are attached to the surface of the membrane, and they can move and vibrate within the membrane. The brane can be seen as a sort of "anchoring point" for the strings, providing a framework for them to interact and give rise to the observable world.

In terms of the 11th dimension that you mentioned, it is important to note that string theory actually requires more than 11 dimensions to work. There are different versions of string theory, such as Type I, Type IIA, Type IIB, and heterotic string theories, which all have different numbers of dimensions. However, in all of these theories, there are at least 10 dimensions, and in some cases, there can be up to 26 dimensions. The 11th dimension is just one possibility, but it is not a required component of string theory.

In summary, your idea of strings connecting to a br

Hi Rusty,

Your animation project sounds fascinating! It's always interesting to see visual representations of complex scientific concepts. From what I understand, your project is exploring the concept of branes and how they relate to the particles and strings in the quantum world.

To answer your question about how string theorists see this working, it's important to understand the theory of branes in more detail. Branes, short for membranes, are essentially higher-dimensional objects that exist in a space with more than just the three dimensions we are familiar with (length, width, and height). In string theory, it is believed that there are multiple dimensions beyond the three we can perceive, and branes are one way to explain how particles and forces interact in these extra dimensions.

In the brane stack model, as you mentioned, each brane represents a different universe or reality. But in the physical view, the brane is a very thin and long object that exists in the higher-dimensional space. In this view, the strings that make up particles in our universe are attached to this brane and interact with it in some way.

So, to answer your question about how the strings connect to the brane, it is believed that each string has one end attached to the brane and the other end is free to move in the higher-dimensional space. The brane itself may also vibrate or move in response to these strings, affecting the behavior of particles in our universe.

As for your idea of the 11th dimension, this is a common concept in string theory, but it is not necessarily the only dimension that branes can exist in. It is also important to note that the 11th dimension is not a physical space that we can visualize, but rather a mathematical concept that helps explain the behavior of particles and forces in our universe.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the concepts you are exploring in your animation project. Keep up the great work!

1. What is the "Brane Train"?

The "Brane Train" refers to a theoretical concept in physics that suggests that our universe may exist on a brane, or membrane, in a higher-dimensional space. This idea was first proposed as an extension of string theory, which suggests that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles but tiny strings.

2. How does the concept of "Brane Train" relate to string theory?

The concept of "Brane Train" is an extension of string theory, which suggests that our universe may exist on a brane (membrane) in a higher-dimensional space. According to string theory, these branes can vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to different particles and forces in our universe.

3. Is there any evidence to support the idea of "Brane Train"?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the idea of "Brane Train" or the existence of higher-dimensional branes. However, some theories based on this concept have made predictions that could potentially be tested with future experiments or observations.

4. What are some potential implications of the "Brane Train" concept?

If the "Brane Train" concept is correct, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help explain the existence of multiple dimensions and the origin of the fundamental forces and particles in our universe. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of quantum mechanics and gravity.

5. Are there any criticisms of the "Brane Train" concept?

As with any scientific theory, the "Brane Train" concept has faced criticism and skepticism from some scientists. Some argue that it is currently untestable and lacks sufficient evidence, while others propose alternative theories to explain the behavior of the universe. However, the concept remains a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.