Riemann-Christoffel Covariant differentation

• Thread starter Jinroh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covariant
In summary, the right-hand side of the equation for the Riemann tensor is a tensor containing Christophel symbols that are not zero in a free fall frame.
Jinroh
Hi

Given the Riemann-Christoffel Tensor :

[tex]R_{i{\text{ }},{\text{ }}jk}^l = \partial _j \Gamma _{ik}^l - \partial _k \Gamma _{ij}^l + \Gamma _{ik}^r \Gamma _{jr}^l - \Gamma _{ij}^r \Gamma _{kr}^l[/tex]

I'm looking for the proof :

[tex]\nabla _t R_{i,rs}^l = \partial _{rt} \Gamma _{si}^l - \partial _{st} \Gamma _{ri}^l[/tex]

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I did not find the proof since yesterday evening when I saw your thread for the first time. But one thing is sure: the second equation is true because leading to the Bianchies identities used in general relativity. Blackforest

You're using two different symbols, [tex]\partial[/tex] and [tex]\nabla[/tex], but I don't quite understand the distinction. Is [tex]\nabla[/tex] the covariant derivative?

And what's the difference between [tex]\partial _{r}[/tex] and [tex]\partial _{rt}[/tex]? Is the second one just a shorthad for [tex]\partial _{r} \partial _{t}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Jinroh said:
Hi

Given the Riemann-Christoffel Tensor :

[tex]R_{i{\text{ }},{\text{ }}jk}^l = \partial _j \Gamma _{ik}^l - \partial _k \Gamma _{ij}^l + \Gamma _{ik}^r \Gamma _{jr}^l - \Gamma _{ij}^r \Gamma _{kr}^l[/tex]

I'm looking for the proof :

[tex]\nabla _t R_{i,rs}^l = \partial _{rt} \Gamma _{si}^l - \partial _{st} \Gamma _{ri}^l[/tex]

Thanks for your help

I don't think it is generally correct, so good luck.

The left-hand side is a tensor.
Is the right-hand side written in a special choice of coordinates?

robphy said:
The left-hand side is a tensor.
Is the right-hand side written in a special choice of coordinates?

Right, the right hand side is what one gets for local free fall frames. I don't think the relation will hold in general. When I take the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor for general coordinates I wind up with many terms on the right hand side a whole lot of which would have to subtract each other off for it to reduce to that and I don't see them doing that. The extra terms are products with Christophel symbols which vanish in local free fall, but otherwise are not zero.

1. What is Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation?

Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe how a vector or tensor field changes as it is transported along a curved manifold. It takes into account the curvature and metric of the manifold to calculate the change in the vector or tensor.

2. How is Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Regular differentiation is used to calculate the change in a vector or tensor in a flat space, whereas Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation takes into account the curvature and metric of a curved space. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the change in the vector or tensor.

3. What is the significance of Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation in physics?

Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation is essential in understanding and solving problems in general relativity and other branches of physics that involve curved spaces. It allows for the proper calculation of quantities such as geodesics, curvature, and energy-momentum tensors in a curved spacetime.

4. Can Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, it is a fundamental concept in differential geometry, which deals with spaces of any dimension.

5. Are there any practical applications of Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation?

Yes, Riemann-Christoffel Covariant Differentiation has numerous practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and other phenomena in the universe. It is also used in computer graphics and robotics to model and simulate objects moving in curved spaces.