Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann-Christoffel Covariant differentation

1. Jun 16, 2004 #1
    Hi

Given the Riemann-Christoffel Tensor :

[tex]R_{i{\text{ }},{\text{ }}jk}^l = \partial _j \Gamma _{ik}^l - \partial _k \Gamma _{ij}^l + \Gamma _{ik}^r \Gamma _{jr}^l - \Gamma _{ij}^r \Gamma _{kr}^l[/tex]

I'm looking for the proof :

[tex]\nabla _t R_{i,rs}^l = \partial _{rt} \Gamma _{si}^l - \partial _{st} \Gamma _{ri}^l[/tex]

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2004 #2
    Sorry I did not find the proof since yesterday evening when I saw your thread for the first time. But one thing is sure: the second equation is true because leading to the Bianchies identities used in general relativity. Blackforest

4. Jun 18, 2004 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Jun 18, 2004 #4

turin

Homework Helper

You're using two different symbols, [tex]\partial[/tex] and [tex]\nabla[/tex], but I don't quite understand the distinction. Is [tex]\nabla[/tex] the covariant derivative?

And what's the difference between [tex]\partial _{r}[/tex] and [tex]\partial _{rt}[/tex]? Is the second one just a shorthad for [tex]\partial _{r} \partial _{t}[/tex]?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  6. Jun 22, 2004 #5

DW

I don't think it is generally correct, so good luck.

7. Jun 22, 2004 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The left-hand side is a tensor.
    Is the right-hand side written in a special choice of coordinates?

8. Jun 22, 2004 #7

DW

Right, the right hand side is what one gets for local free fall frames. I don't think the relation will hold in general. When I take the covariant derivative of the Riemann tensor for general coordinates I wind up with many terms on the right hand side a whole lot of which would have to subtract each other off for it to reduce to that and I don't see them doing that. The extra terms are products with Christophel symbols which vanish in local free fall, but otherwise are not zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?