Why do these two terms cancel in the Riemann-Christoffel tensor?

• Thread starter Legion81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to show the equality of two terms involving Christoffel symbols and covariant differentiation acting on an arbitrary contravariant vector. The questioner is struggling to understand how these two terms can be equal and is seeking clarification and suggestions on how to approach the problem.
Legion81
I'm trying to work through getting the Riemann-Christoffel tensor using covariant differentiation and I don't see where two terms cancel. I have the correct result, plus these two terms:

d/dx^(sigma) *{alpha nu, tau}*A^(alpha)
and
d/dx^(nu) *{alpha sigma, tau}*A^(alpha)

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to do this with LaTeX. The A^(alpha) is just an arbitrary contravariant vector, and the {a n, t} and {a sigma, t} are Christoffel symbols.

Somehow these two are supposed to be equal (in order to cancel). I know the Christoffel symbols are symmetric in the lower indices, but that doesn't help me much. Can anyone shed some light on why the two are the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or more simply put:

{alpha nu, tau}*d/dx^sigma - {alpha sigma, tau}*d/dx^nu = 0

How can I show this is true? Is there some way of writing this with the nu and sigma switched in one of the terms?

Thanks.

I'm afraid you have to be a little more specific. I don't see why an expression like

[tex]
\Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\nu} \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\sigma}} -
\Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\sigma} \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}
[/tex]

would disappear. On what does it act? Maybe you can rewrite the partial derivatives in terms of covariant ones?

And for future questions: learn how to use latex. You can look at the code I've written down. It's a matter of hours to get the basics, and eventually you will need it anyway if you study physics or math ;)

Thanks for the reply (and the latex sample!). It is acting on a vector A:

[tex]
\Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\nu} \frac{\partial A^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\sigma}} -
\Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\sigma} \frac{\partial A^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\nu}}
[/tex]

I've tried rewriting the partials as

[tex]
A^{\alpha}_{\sigma} - \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\sigma} A^{\mu}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
A^{\alpha}_{\nu} - \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} A^{\mu}
[/tex]

which would give me

[tex]
\Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\nu} A^{\alpha}_{\sigma} - \Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\nu} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\sigma} A^{\mu} - \Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\sigma} A^{\alpha}_{\nu} + \Gamma^{\tau}_{\alpha\sigma} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\nu} A^{\mu}
[/tex]

but it didn't get me anywhere. Any ideas?

1. What is the Riemann-Christoffel tensor?

The Riemann-Christoffel tensor, also known as the Riemann curvature tensor, is a mathematical object that describes the intrinsic curvature of a space with multiple dimensions. It is used in the field of differential geometry to study the curvature of differentiable manifolds.

2. What is the significance of the Riemann-Christoffel tensor?

The Riemann-Christoffel tensor is a fundamental tool in the study of curved spaces, particularly in the theory of general relativity. It provides a way to quantify the curvature of a space and is essential in understanding the behavior of objects moving in a curved space.

3. How is the Riemann-Christoffel tensor calculated?

The Riemann-Christoffel tensor is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor of a space. The calculation involves taking derivatives of the Christoffel symbols to obtain the components of the tensor at each point in the space.

4. What are the applications of the Riemann-Christoffel tensor?

The Riemann-Christoffel tensor has numerous applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime, in differential geometry to study the properties of curved spaces, and in other fields such as cosmology, quantum gravity, and string theory.

5. What are some real-life examples of spaces with non-zero Riemann-Christoffel tensor?

Spaces with non-zero Riemann-Christoffel tensor are those with intrinsic curvature, such as the surface of a sphere or a saddle-shaped surface. In physics, the Riemann-Christoffel tensor is used to describe the curvature of spacetime due to the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars.