1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann-integrable functions

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    Hello,

can you provide me an example where the limits of a Riemann-integrable functiosn (or even continuous function may fail to be Riemann-integrable?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean: is there an example of a converging series [itex]\{ f_n | n \in \mathbb Z \} [/itex] of Riemann integrable functions of which the limit
    [tex]f \binop{:=} \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n[/tex]
    is not Riemann integrable?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    Here's a hint:

Do you know any of the "popular" functions that fail to be Riemann integrable? Why not try to construct a sequence of Riemann integrable functions that converge (pointwise) to this function.

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4
    I was referring to page 322 in Rudin.

6. Oct 27, 2008 #5
    So if you're given a fxn

f:[-2,3]->R defined by f(x) = 0 if x is rational and 4 is rational, then if is not RI, that is int(f(x),-2,3) DNE.

How does Lebesgue theory make it integrable?

7. Oct 27, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you mean "f(x)= 4 if x is not rational"?

Lebesque theory measures sets differently from Riemann theory, in a way that gives "measure" to a much larger collection of sets. In particular, in Lebesque measure any countable set (such as the rational numbers) has measure 0. Since the measure of the interval [-2, 3] has measure 3-(-2)= 5, just as in Riemann theory, and the disjoint union of the rational and irrational numbers give all of the interval, the measure of the set of irrational numbers in [-2, 3] is 5. If a function is constant on a measurable set, its integral over that set is that constant times the measure of the set. The integral of "f(x)= 0 if x is rational and f(x)= 4 if x is irrational" has integral 0(0)+ 4(5)= 20.

Of course, that has nothing to do with the original question.

8. Oct 28, 2008 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Personally I like that in measure theory, statements like
    "If f is constantly equal to c almost everywhere on [a, b], then the integral of f over that interval is equal to (b - a) * c"
    can be rigorously defined (once I'd be more clear about the measure). In particular, the statement "almost everywhere" has a well-defined meaning which usually corresponds to ones intuition (although admittedly, intuitively Q may seem larger than it is :smile:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?