1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann integral

1. Jul 28, 2003 #1

Hi there, I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone can help me this one.

Q)Suppose f:[a,b]->R is (Riemann) integrable and satisfies m<=f(x)<=M for all element x is a member of set [a,b]. Prove from the defintion of the Riemann integral that

where the upper limit = b, the lower limit = a.

I can tell you know that your help is much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To define the Riemann sums, divide the interval into n pieces of length deltax_i (may be different for i= 1 to n). Define x_i to be an x value in the ith interval. The rectangle with base the ith interval and height f(x_i) has area f(x_i)deltax_i. The sum of all those areas is an approximation to the area and it can be shown that IF f(x) is Riemann integrable over the interval [a,b] then the limit as n goes to infinity (no matter how you choose the intevals or x_i in each interval) exists and is the integral.

In this problem you know that m<= f(x)<= M for all x so, in particular, m<= f(x_i)<= M and so
    m(deltax_i)<= f(x_i)(deltax_i)<= M(deltax_i)

Adding all of these for all sub intervals of [a,b] gives
    sum (m deltax_i)<= sum(f(x_i)(deltax_i))<= sum M(deltax_i)

which, factoring m and M out, since they are constant) gives
    m * sum(deltax_i)<= sum(f(x,i)(deltax_i))<= M*sum(deltax_i)

Of course, sum(deltax_i)= b-a, the length of the interval [a,b]
    so we have

m*(b-a)<= sum(f(x,i)(deltax_i)<= M*(b-a)

Taking the limit as n-> infinity, we have

m*(b-a)<= int(x=a to b) f(x)dx)<= M*(b-a)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?