1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann integration

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a<c<d<b and f is integrable on (a,b), show that f is integrable on (c,d)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that f is integrable on (a,b) iff for all e>0 there exists step functions g and h such that g [tex]\leq[/tex] f1(a,b) [tex]\leq[/tex] h and I(g-h) <e
    ( 1(a,b) in the indicator function and I(g-h) is the integral of the step functions)

I feel like this should allow me to fairly easily show that f is also integrable on (c,d) but I just don't know how to start.

Do I need to consider partitions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you mean [itex]I(h-g)[/itex], not [itex]I(g-h)[/itex].

To show integrability on the interval [itex](c,d)[/itex], consider the functions [itex]g|_{(c,d)}[/itex] and [itex]h|_{(c,d)}[/itex], which are the restrictions of [itex]g[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] to the interval [itex](c,d)[/itex]. Are the restrictions still step functions? Do they satisfy the desired inequality?
  4. May 9, 2010 #3
    Yes I did sorry.
    Thanks :) so if I use those functions that take the same value on (c,d) and are 0 elsewhere I think I can see how it goes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook