1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann Rearrangement Theorem

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to compute the sum of the following series:

S=1+[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{16}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{64}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{256}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure how to begin this one. I know it probably involves Riemann's Rearrangement Theorem since this series is absolutely convergent.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are the successive signs really ++--+? What happens after that? Are you sure you copied the question correctly?

RGV

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    My apologies; I should have been clearer in my original post.

The signs are ++-- ++-- ...

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4
    Any help?

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    Okay, so I think that if you think about it as the sum of two sums, that will help...

think of the first sum as the sum of every odd indexed term, and the second sum as the sum of every even indexed term.

S1 = 1-1/16+1/256.....
    S2 = 1/4-1/64+1/(16*64)....

thus, the first sum will be

S1 = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex](-1/16)[/itex]n from n = 0 to ∞.

and the second, I'll let you figure out. but I think that this should help. (note, the second one needs a constant out front.

hope this helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook