Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann-Sieltjes vs. Lebesgue

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm doing a paper on the Radon transform and several sources I've come across cite the Lebesgue integral as a necessary tool to handle measures in higher order transforms.
    But, Radon's original paper employs the Riemann-Stieltjes integral in its place.

I read that Lebesgue is more general and so Radon could have used it in place of RSI. Is this the case?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2
    The Lebesgue integral is indeed more general than the Riemann integral.
    Using measure theory, we can also develop the Lebesgue-Stieltjes integral, and this is a generalization of the Riemann-Stieltjes integral.

So yes, the paper could probably be written with Lebesgue instead of Riemann. But there may be technical differences between the two.

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Is there a distinction between "Lebesgue Integration" and "integration with respect to Lebesgue measure"? My impressions is that "Lebesgue measure" on the real number line is a particular measure that implements the usual notion of length, so the measure of a single point would be zero. On the other hand, is "Lebesgue integration" defined with respect to an arbitrary measure?

For Lebesgue Integration to include Riemann-Stieljes integration as a special case, is it necessary to use measures other than Legesgue measure? (I'm thinking of the specific example of defining an integration that can integrate a discrete probability density function by the method of assigning non-zero measure to certain isolated points and turning "integration" into summation.)

5. Dec 5, 2012 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

Lebesgue-Stieljes integral is best described as Lebesgue integration with respect to a given measure.

6. Dec 5, 2012 #5

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Yes. Lebesgue integration is defined with respect to a measure. The procedure is the same, but different measures give different integrals.

The Lebesgue measure is derived from the set function ##m((a,b])=b-a##.
    The Stieljes measure is derived from the set function ##m(a,b]) = g(b)-g(a)## for some monotonically increasing function g.

Summation is a special case of Lebesgue integration, using the counting measure over Z, or Dirac measure over R.

7. Dec 5, 2012 #6
    In my experience, it's a bit ambiguous. When talking about Lebesgue integration, sometimes people talk about general integration wrt a measure and sometimes they talk about integration wrt Lebesgue measure. It's usually clear from the context though.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook