1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann sum limit

1. Jul 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a.) Use definition 2 to find an expression for the area under the curve y=x^3 from 0 to 1 as a limit.
    b.)Evaluate the (above) limit using the sum of the cubes of the n integers.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex](\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^{2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a.) I wrote my limit like this:
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \Sigma_{i=1}^{n}(\frac{i}{n})^{3}\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

The "Definition 2" they have listed just says:
    [tex]A=\lim_{n \to \infty} R_{n} = \lim_{n \to \infty}(f(x_{1})\Delta x + f(x_{2})\Delta x + . . . + f(x_{n})\Delta x)[/tex]

Now for part b, I understand that the formula is the sum of all cubes and so on. So I am thinking that the limit should look like this?

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}(\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^{2}[/tex]
    That should handle the limit and the sum of cubes, now I need each one to multiply by delta x right? So that it comes out to:
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}(\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^{2}\frac{1}{n}[/tex]
    ..because the integral is from 0 to 1, so [itex]\Delta x = \frac{1-0}{n}[/itex]

But I am not sure how to write it in this manner and take the limit from here yet. Is this correct so far? I should just simplify the expression after the limit and then take the limit?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, no. The sum of i^3 for i=0 to n is (n(n+1)/2))^2. That's only a PART of the sum of (i/n)^3*(1/n) for i=0 to n. Do some algebra in that sum to separate out the i^3 part and then substitute your summation formula and take the limit.

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3
    I understand now. Sorry, this is the first time I have ever actually used a summation, other than just knowing what it is.
    73p1z5.jpg

I checked with the definite integral and this is correct as far as I can tell.
    I'm going to go learn the rules of summation and find some problems to do. Thanks, I didn't realize that this was how it worked.

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the integral from x=0 to x=1 is 1/4. And I think you did it correctly through the limit.

6. Jul 11, 2011 #5
    Thanks for the help!

7. Mar 15, 2012 #6
    Hey can someone explain to me how did he jumped from lim n-> Ʃ i^3/n * 1/n to lim n->1/n^4 Ʃ i^3??

8. Mar 15, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He didn't jump anywhere. He used a formula the sum of i^3 for i=1 to n.

9. Mar 15, 2012 #8
    I see... but he committed a mistake in the evaluation at lim n-> Ʃ i^3/n * 1/n is not lim n-> Ʃ i^3/n * 1/n is lim n-> Ʃ i^3/n^3 * 1/n

10. Mar 15, 2012 #9
    I was having a hard time finding how did he got that 1/n^4.... LOL it was an ibvious mistake from part (a) even part (a) is wrong.

11. Mar 15, 2012 #10
    deltax= 1-0/n=1/n than according to definition 2 the R endpoints formula is (a+ideltax)deltax so is i/n*1/n than substituting from x^3 we have (i/n)^3*1/n=i^3/n^3*1/n=i^3/n^4 which makes more sense. Now i just get rid of the 1/n^4 and put it in the other side of the summation and ta chan! problem solved LOL

12. Mar 15, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's pretty clear he meant (i/n)^3 not i^3/n since the n^4 appears in the next line. Why are you resurrecting posts over to a year old to complain about notational mistakes?

13. Mar 15, 2012 #12
    is not clear in part (a).

14. Mar 15, 2012 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll admit the way it was written isn't clear. Using an extra parentheses would have helped.

15. Mar 15, 2012 #14
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook