How to Approximate the Area of a Semi-Circle Using Riemann Sums

In summary, Riemann sums are a way to approximate a curve by taking the integral of a function over a certain domain. You can use a computer to do this or you can use a graphing calculator.
Gotcha
Can anyone please direct me in the right way on working out the approximate area of a semi-circle with equation y = (r^2 - x^2)^0.5, by using a Riemann Sum

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about Riemann sums (meaning their general formula for the case of simple definite integrals)...?
Chose a system of coordinates with the center at the left end of the semicircle,so that the Ox axis in its posotive part to comprise entire diameter.Therefore your equation for the curve will be slightly modified.

Daniel.

Here's what I suggest..

First find the domain of that function ([-3,3]). Then create an arbitrary partition of that domain. That is to say, select an arbitrary number of points in that domain and label them [itex]\{x_0, x_1,...x_n\}[/itex]. (x0 has to be -3 and xn has to be 3). In principle, the more points you chose, the better the approximation.

Then construct and evaluate the Riemann sum

[tex]\Sigma_{i=1}^{n} y(t_i)(x_{i}-x_{i-1})[/tex]

Where the ti are arbitrarily chosen points in the interval [itex][x_{i-1},x_{i}][/tex]

Yes,but i suggested him that all values of the partition be positive,the way you took'em half are and half are not...I think that should create some avoidable problems...

Daniel.

Really? Like what? I don't see what the difference will be, since [itex]x_{i}-x_{i-1}[/itex] will be positive anyway.

I got a cool program on my graphing calculator that does that for me. It's handy when it comes to test. If you want it, just pm me.

I don't know who you were talking to,but if,by chance,u were talking to me,learn that i don't have a graphing computer and that's why the software would be totally useless... :yuck:

Thanks for the offer,though... :wink: :tongue2:

Daniel.

What is the Riemann Sum of semi-circle?

The Riemann Sum of semi-circle is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a semi-circle curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas.

How is the Riemann Sum of semi-circle calculated?

The Riemann Sum of semi-circle is calculated by taking the limit of the sum of the areas of the rectangles as the number of rectangles approaches infinity. This is represented by the integral of the semi-circle function.

What is the significance of the Riemann Sum of semi-circle?

The Riemann Sum of semi-circle is significant because it allows us to approximate the area under a curve, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and has numerous real-world applications.

Can the Riemann Sum of semi-circle be used for other shapes?

Yes, the Riemann Sum method can be used for any shape, not just semi-circles. It is a general method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles.

How accurate is the Riemann Sum of semi-circle?

The accuracy of the Riemann Sum of semi-circle depends on the number of rectangles used in the calculation. The more rectangles used, the closer the approximation will be to the actual area under the curve.