1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Riemann Sum problem

Tags:
  1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, thank you in advance for your help. I am calculating a Riemann sum with right hand endpoints. I hit a small snag, and I appreciate your help in getting me straight.

2. Relevant equations

f(x) = x2+ 1, over the interval [0,1]. This is problem number such-and-such from a well-known calculus textbook, not anything that is on an exam that I know of. The limit of these sums approaches infinity.

I'll call the Riemann Sum Sp, the length (x value) of the rectangles ∆x, and the height of the rectangles (y value) ck.

3. The attempt at a solution

∆x = 1/n, good to go.

ck = a + k[(b - a)/n] = 0 + k (1/n) = k/n

Sp = Σ(k = 1, n) k/n * 1/n + 1

Sp = 1/n2 Σ(k = 1, n) k + 1

And here is where I ran out of juice.

Again, and help is appreciated.

SY

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since ##f(x) = x^2 +1## and ##c_k = \frac k n##, then ##f(c_k) = \frac {k^2} {n^2}+1## so you should be calculating$$
    \sum_{k=1}^n(\frac {k^2} {n^2}+1)\frac 1 n$$

You will need the formula for the sum of squares of the first n integers, which you can look up.

4. Apr 23, 2015 #3
    I believe I just pulled a first-year calculus moron maneuver. Instead of k, it should be k2? And each term would then proceed to be determined using sigma notation for the degree of the individual term?

Here, that would be (as I see it),

Sp = 1/n2 *
    ∑k=1n k2 + ∑k=1n 1
    = 1/n2 * [n(n+1)(2n+1)/6] + (n)-- my apologies for this being superscripted, I am having an issue w/ the formatting

Here, am I correct in understanding with the first sigma term, that reduces to n * 1/n2?

If I am, them we have 1/n * [(2n3+ n2+ 2n + n)/6]

= (2n3+ n2+3n)/6n

= (2n2+n + 3)/6

As I understand it, if i substitute the limit for n, infinity, then I am left with an area of 2/6 = 1/3 sp units. That doesn't pass the sniff test. What did I do wrong?

Thank you for your time.

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read post #2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted